Characteristic Curve

Sheetal Rana

Joined Jan 16, 2012
Hi everyone,,I would like to know that what is characteristic curve?? and what is the importance of it? What are the characteristics that we can determine using Characteristic curve of transducers?

Thank you..

PaulEE

Joined Dec 23, 2011
Hi everyone,,I would like to know that what is characteristic curve?? and what is the importance of it? What are the characteristics that we can determine using Characteristic curve of transducers?

Thank you..
A characteristic curve describes a transducer's behavior; specifically, how a physical phenomena relates to the electrical phenomena in the device.

In other words, it is a device's transfer function.

What device were you looking at? Anything in particular?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
A characteristic curve is a graph that illustrates the behaviour of a given property under a particular influence. Typically on a graph, the cause is plotted along the horizontal axis (x-axis) and the effect along the vertical axis (y-axis).

When applied to electronic devices, an I-V characteristic curve shows how the current flowing through device varies with the applied voltage.

The I-V characteristic curve for a resistor is a diagonal straight line that passes through the origin. Since the resistor obeys Ohm's Law, the slope (tangent) of the straight line is a measure of the conductance (inverse of resistance) of the resistor, since 1/R = I/V.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The characteristic curve for an RTD would plot the resistance of the device versus temperature. This would allow a circuit designer to choose a proper circuit and to calibrate the circuit to give correct temperature recordings.