Chapter 5: Series Circuts confusion

circ

Joined Feb 18, 2010
Hi Guys,

So I am going through the electronics book, am on Vol 1 DC Chapter 5. I was reading the current calculations for a series circut and am a little confused as to how the author reached 500 MicroAmps when from what I know it should be 500milliAmps. Link to page.

So 9v/18k ohms = 0.5 AMPS. Moving the decimal 3 to the right gives us 500mA not 500microAmps as we moved the decimal -3 places (milli) and not -6 (micro).

Thats from the little I know. Can someone please clarify ..

EDIT: Ahh! Got it, 18k = 18000 ohms! I forgot about the zeros. Still getting used to the metric notation!

circ

Joined Feb 18, 2010
Thanks guys. I figured I was missing the zeros as soon as I submitted my post.
BTW, is there any shorthand for 'micro' other than the upside down h ?

circ

Joined Feb 18, 2010
Cool, thanks bill. Alt+234 gives me Û

Another Q, is voltage drop the amount of voltage used/lost on a given load ?

circ

Joined Feb 18, 2010
I did see the omega symbol.

Im not with you with regards to the Ohms bit though.

Also, whilst I am gaining all of this theoritical knowledge I want to apply it so that I gain some practical experience and it sticks. Do you have any 'coursework' I can do per chapter (not more theory stuff but practical) ? And can you recommend any 'starter' kits that have all that I need ?

circ

Joined Feb 18, 2010
Thanks Bertus.
There are quite alot of tools I will need ! Are there any starter kits which contain most if not all of the tools I need ?

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Where are you located?
If we know that we can give you a better advice on where to buy your parts needed.

You can also take a look at this thread: Starter Kit

Bertus

Last edited:

circ

Joined Feb 18, 2010