Changing the polarity of electromagnet using H-Bridge

enterprize

Joined Jan 16, 2014
I have made an electromagnet using copper coil of 1.0 mm diameter, ferit core of 2 cm dia & 8 cm length for my project. Supplied voltage limit is 12 VDC and current it consumes is 9.0 Amp. My power supply can provide up to 30 Amps, more amps consumed by e-magnet will be welcomed too. It has 1.5 Ohm resistance. I want to change the polarity of electromagnet like pulsing. The frequency of pulsing is somewhat like Morse code or may little bit more time between two successive pulses. I have to control e-magnet pulsing through arduino uno.

I learned H-Bridge is a way to do it. What h-bridge should i use for this amount of current and voltage? What precautions should I take when connecting the H-Bridge to arduino if any? Any other things related to doing changing polarity of e-magnet if pointed out will be of great help for me

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
How about using a DPDT Relay if the pulse is like around 1Hz
But for higher frequency H Bridge should be used.

enterprize

Joined Jan 16, 2014
I have not used DPDT but they appear manual kind of switches. I am doing a microcontroller based automated project, this doesn't suite me. I think H-Bridge is one I need. Please answer me for that about my above problem.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
DPDT are relays. uC can switch relays without a problem.

Still you would need to find a H bridge with 10Amp capacity or even more.
I believe power MOSFETs should be used to drive such high current loads.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Big voltage spikes will be generated when the solenoid current is reversed. You will need to include appropriately rated spike-suppression diodes in the circuit.

BTW, if your supply is 12V and your solenoid resistance is 1.5 Ohms the max current will be 8A (regardless of the supply being capable of 30A).