Changing signal from sender to gauge to make gauge read correctly

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
This means that considering other methods that are simpler need to be considered. presently it is not even clear if the resistance versus temperature curves slope in the same direction.
I spoke of doing that in my post #33. That has always been the easiest way I've found of doing this. Simple easy modification of the arm length or shape to get the guages to work.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
It seems that there are two different things here, a fuel sensor and a temperature sensor. Not much has been said by others about the fuel level sensor. Others have focussed on the temp sensor.

rgadsby2013

Joined Mar 5, 2022
It seems that there are two different things here, a fuel sensor and a temperature sensor. Not much has been said by others about the fuel level sensor. Others have focussed on the temp sensor.
Thanks for your input.
the fuel sender is a second project that is almost the opposite of the temp gauge.
I can’t make any changes to the sender for temperatur. And the fuel sender is in such a stupid place that it requires the rear wheel and parts of the chassis removing to remove the tank so too much work there.
im now thinking some kind of pwm like this one or something else. Then some software on an arduino nano to read and then send an output to the gauge.
pits a long shot I know!
thanks again

Attachments

rgadsby2013

Joined Mar 5, 2022
Thanks for your input.
the fuel sender is a second project that is almost the opposite of the temp gauge.
I can’t make any changes to the sender for temperatur. And the fuel sender is in such a stupid place that it requires the rear wheel and parts of the chassis removing to remove the tank so too much work there.
im now thinking some kind of pwm like this one or something else. Then some software on an arduino nano to read and then send an output to the gauge.
pits a long shot I know!
thanks again
Something like this might do the trick?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
OK, one last suggestion for an alternative scheme that is quite simple but quite tedious. That is to use an analog input and an analog output and a lookup table so that for every input voltage there is a specific output voltage. The binary of the input voltage points to a number in a look-up table that is the sent out to drive the display. For temperature it could be every degree, so maybe fifty lines in the table. For the fuel gage it is not clear how close you want to be. You could go by percents of full and have a 100 line table. Not that difficult , just rather boring to create.

rgadsby2013

Joined Mar 5, 2022
OK, one last suggestion for an alternative scheme that is quite simple but quite tedious. That is to use an analog input and an analog output and a lookup table so that for every input voltage there is a specific output voltage. The binary of the input voltage points to a number in a look-up table that is the sent out to drive the display. For temperature it could be every degree, so maybe fifty lines in the table. For the fuel gage it is not clear how close you want to be. You could go by percents of full and have a 100 line table. Not that difficult , just rather boring to create.
That sounds like a good idea. I can manage boring. Soldering not so much though it’s improving thanks

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
There will still need to be a bit of interconnection between the sensor and the analog input, probably just a resistor to provide sensor bias. For the interface between the analog output and the gage display it is a bit less clear, but still less complex.