Changing a Multimeter setting from a x10 to a rx1

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
Ron, it's a pick and poke or, if you like, cut a try method using pots but it's past midnight here and old farts do need their sleep. I'll post it tomorrow over morning coffee.

Btw, I've had my embarrassing moments here, so I wouldn't loose too much sleep over it. ;)
Chris

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Mr. Piccolo, can you elaborate on why you would want to do this?

What is your application?

What range of resistances do you want to display?

You would have noticed that the resistance scale is backwards and non-linear.
Would you prefer a linear scale?

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
Guys, sorry for not posting it yet but it's been over 54 years since I used this method as a green kid. When I post this method I want it to be as safe as possible. IE, not damage a sensitive meter movement by over current or dog-legging the meter vane, or, for that matter, not inadvertently short the battery.

Soon!

Chris

Mr.Piccolo22

Joined Oct 27, 2009
MrChips
Mr. Piccolo, can you elaborate on why you would want to do this?

You would have noticed that the resistance scale is backwards and non-linear.
Would you prefer a linear scale?
Mr. Chips

A. It's for the sport of Fencing. I have to test three lines at once on a body cord that has to measure less than or equal one ohm on each line. It's easier and quicker when I have 20 people lined up to get their cords tested so I can look quickly across the three meters. The reason why I went with the analog meter is because I need to see the quick movement of the needle. That quick movement will show me if there is something wrong with the cord or not (a break in the line, a loose wire, ect.) I included a picture of a body cord just so you get an idea.

A. I would prefer to see the Rx1 range meaning if it's 1 ohm the meter would show the needle on 1. The max resistance that I would need to measure would be up to 15 Ohms. Therefor it would give me a little room if I needed to go higher for testing the equipment.

You would have noticed that the resistance scale is backwards and non-linear. Would you prefer a linear scale?
A. I am used to reading a multimeter, but if I was going to make this ohm meter from scratch, I would be open to anything. I figured repacking the meters and having it pertinently in the Rx1 position would be the simplest way going about it. However, and it's my fault for not really looking at the meter, the meter's lowest setting was Rx10. I wouldn't be apposed to just using the meter's movement and just build a ohm meter from perf. board and re-use some of the part of the meters I have (one item that comes to mind is ohms adjustment dial).

I am still very "green", "noob", or what ever you want to call an inexperienced person. So, if you all could explain it to me as simply as possible I would appreciate it. Sorry for the delay in responding back. Thank you all for your time and help.

Attachments

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
So, let me see if I get this correct.
Twenty competitors are waiting in line to get their cords checked.
There must be no breaks in the cord which consists of three conductors.

What are the cords plugged into while fencing?

Why not plug the two ends of the cord into two connectors and have one meter show the integrity of all three cords all at once.

No need for three meters.
No need to change anything on the meter. The x10 scale should be adequate, no?

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
Unfortunate that this description wasn't given earlier in this thread. Leds are ultra fast, coupled with a comparator circuit you could make quick work of your cord testing. Is one of the three conductors a common or is there three conductors + common?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Shows you the importance as to why everyone seeking help should come clean and state the full application up front in the first place. Otherwise we're all running around in the wrong direction needlessly.