Center Tap Pot problem

Simon_m74

Joined Jun 17, 2006
Hi there all,

I need to make up a X/Y Joystick that uses a center-tapped 3k Pot for each axis.
I cant find pots online to suit this, so does anyone know how to get round the problem?

Thanks

Simon

Simon_m74

Joined Jun 17, 2006
Its for a Virtuality video game machine from the 1990`s.
The joysticks connect direct to a custom `I/O` board, that has a set of MAX,CEN,MIN trimming pots on it for each axis, then ultimately heads down a connection to a Commodore Amiga 3000 computer`s joystick port.
It looks like the wiper goes to the Amiga via a resistor, and the tap and outer connections go to the trimming circuit part of the PCB.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Perhaps I made an incorrect assumption at first. What do you mean by "center tapped"? What difficulties have you experienced when searching for a replacement? What electrically distinguishes the desired pot?

Simon_m74

Joined Jun 17, 2006
Hi,

What I mean is I need a 3K pot, that also has an extra connection to the resistor, half-way along its length,

So really instead of a 3k Pot, it could be referenced like two 1.5K pots in series, with a single wiper that spreads across both resistors.

The use for this kind of pot has almost become obsolete, as have the components.

Hence I`m asking if there is a way of `faking` the output from one, as my VR system requires that kind of input.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Good clarification. Unfortunately, I don't have any ideas. I searched myself and was also unsuccessful. Most of the results were for audio pots and much greater resistances.

Simon_m74

Joined Jun 17, 2006
yeah I know...

thats why I want to `fake` it.
Other than that, I have recently found information on how to mod a standard Pot to a have a center Tap, so I`ll try that :)
Then I have design and build a pair of joysticks :)

Simon_m74

Joined Jun 17, 2006
Thanks Alec,

it being a 3K pot,

I then assume I`d need R1 & 2 to be 1.5K ?
and U1 as the 3K ?

or at least something like that?

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
No. With the component values I showed, R1 + R2 = 9.4k. That sum is in parallel with 5k, giving a combined resistance of 5k x 9.4k / (5k + 9.4k) = 3.26k between points A and B.
So the Commodore will see an apparent '3.26k pot' between points A and B, and the voltage at 'centre-tap' C will be half the AB voltage. The voltage at wiper W will be a variable fraction of the AB voltage.
This arrangement should fool the Commodore, providing the impedances of its inputs which connect to C and W are considerably higher than 5k.

Simon_m74

Joined Jun 17, 2006
ah yes..... resistors in series / parallel ! - missed that when looking at it - DOH!!!

I will give that a try soon! :) thanks :)

I have a test program that is used to trim the pots, using a graph, so I`ll use that to see how it reacts.

Simon