CD4017 Stacker Circuit

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
First: I lied, the 4015 does not have enough output drive for directly lighting LED's, 74C164 still OK in my book. For a battery V monitor, why not dig the LM3914 out of the trash bin, and use it ,with a LED bar graph?

Ryan_Shephard

Joined May 9, 2009
OK... So I've settled on the 4015.
However, I am uncertain about a few things...

First, Which do I sent the "one-shot" 555 signal to? The Clock Input? The Serial Input? Or both? (Suspect both, as cannot see needing a second 555 JUST for clocking...) Not exactly sure how to proceed...

Second, I was wondering what the best way to tie the two banks together in series would be? The link below shows a "Data Out" signal, but see nothing of the sort on the data sheets... Is the 4th output concidered the Signal Out pin? And do I tie this to the other bank somehow?

http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/sequential/seq_5.html

Oxbo Rene

Joined Feb 20, 2009
OK,
Here's the final "period Count" circuit I settled on, using the AND gates.
Built it on a 3X5 PCB, the layout shows how it sits on the board.
This lights four LEDs one at a time and each previous one stays lit, etc.
Also is the schematic showing how they connect etc.
Bernard, I'm sure using more AND gates circuits and another 4017/or the 4015, you can hook this fellow up with his ten LED setup, etc.
Instead of a push button switch, have to incorperate a triggered 555 for the input from the other devices through an OR gate/gates, etc....
Oxbo

Attachments

Last edited:

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Some of our posts may be out of sync,so to be sure I'll ask : do you want to use 4015 even if it'll need LED driver, or two. How many inputs are we up to 8 or 10 . ?lanning on using modified Page 9, with SRs?
Thumb-nail is my version of bar-graph V monitor.Explanations if wished.

Attachments

Ryan_Shephard

Joined May 9, 2009
Yeah, we got out of synch a little...

The 4015 might still be OK, even if I have to use Bill Marsden's Transistor driver (Which I was fully prepared to do). Was planning 10 on the counter IF possible, but was willing to settle for eight. (IF necessary, the bottem one can remain lit, and the top one can be added through a 555 delay circuit fed from the 9th LED output. Or from the Trigger Enable Relay which is reset last...)

Want it to be "relatively" simple, as it is a "flourish" so to say. Not worth it if it's more complex than the Control Module itself!

As for the 4015; I'm just not sure how to sequence the two banks into 1 full series... (read above)

As for Oxbo Rene's post; WOAH! That schematic has come a LONG way from the original! It's over my head in many spots! Not sure I can use it if I don't understand it yet! lol Nice to see the final result though! Looks awesome! ;)

Last edited:

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
To late, get out the scissors.Do you have favorite gates? ' did'nt find a 4 in OR,could use 4002 with an inverter. For 2 in AND 74C08 or, 14081.It's something to play with.

Attachments

Ryan_Shephard

Joined May 9, 2009
To late, get out the scissors.
LOL!
THAT is why I've only drawn them up in pencil so far (cheaper on paper, not to have 20 revisions!)

Some serious info to chew on! Thanks guys!
Guess I'd better polish up on AND/OR gates now...hehe!

(I think I've learnt more in the past week asking for replies to what I originally thought would be a simple question, and THEN trying to learn what it was you'd all suggested to me, than I had the past six months since I dove into this project!)

P.S. I'm not so sure I'm up to adding all these curcuits to this particular project now, as space is limited, and battery supply is minimal (Expected it to be a much smaller, simpler circuit). BUT I AM thinking I can use this elsewhere, so I AM appreciative of the info (Mad Scientist Cackle!). AND I'm learning new things (which is ALWAYS good!)

Here's hoping some of it sinks in and stays! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Oxbo[me to] wanted to see what 9 accumulative lit LED's would look like using 4017. On the other side, could replace 4 input OR's with 2 , 3 in OR's , like CD4075B, with one gate as spare. Thanks Oxbo for refference to big OR gates. Speaking of batteries, a pack of Ni-Cd AA's lists 1.2V & 700 mAh; NiMH AA's ,1.2V & 2650 mAh.

Attachments

Oxbo Rene

Joined Feb 20, 2009
So, Bernard;
Say one used 2 inputs of a 3-input OR gate (CMOS), what would you do with the unused input ? Tie it to GND I would imagine ??

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
It might help that I was referring to drawing on page 27, left side, outputs of IC 5-6-7, feeding the four 4-input OR's, but if 3 in OR's were on hand & no 2 in OR's , then use em , grounding extra pin or just tie it to another pin. speaking of pins, 5-6-9-11 are missing.