Cat5e cable

Dritech

Joined Sep 21, 2011
Hi,

Can I use Cat5e cable for low power consumption components such as LEDs, and sensors? The reason that I want to use Cat5e is because I want a cable with 8 wires and having a small diameter.

Also, this cable will be passing beside a motor. Can this interfere with the data passing through the cable? If yes, is there a way to eliminate this problem?

LDC3

Joined Apr 27, 2013
If you not using a lot of current, it will be fine. Also, most catagory 5e cable is not shielded so it probably will pick up noise from the motor. I would make sure that the cable is shielded since you know there might be interference.

trader007

Joined Feb 27, 2010
It's unclear what you want, op. Do you want to use a couple pairs for 100BaseT data transmission? (100Mb speed), and the remaining for power? You can only draw about 700ma@12v I believe over CAT wire.

If you are only sending power down the cable, the motor won't interfere.. but if you are sending data, it probably will at least somewhat. Use shielded in that case, or re-route the wire so it is at least a few inches away from the motor windings.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
700ma will run a lot of LEDs!:D

Cat5 does have some twisting of the conductors to reduce outside interference, but a "real" shield would work better. +1 on keeping the cable some distance from the motor. A few inches will make a difference and a few feet will probably eliminate the problem.

Strip a foot of cable to see which wires are arranged as twisted pairs.

Joined Nov 30, 2010

LDC3

Joined Apr 27, 2013

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
Also it seems a little pricey since these have the RJ45 plugs and are half the price.
However the blue cables suggested are not external grade cable so may not be suitable for the use.

I find external grade cable about 50% more expensive.

Many are not aware that building codes may also require the use of low smoke cables, particulary if they are hidden.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
Building codes? We don't need no stinking building codes.
Unfortunately you have to obey them in many fixed isntallations.

But then I've long been tussling with those pesky laws of mechanics about what holds my building up.

:eek: