Career question

mbohuntr

Joined Apr 6, 2009
Career question for all. I am nearing the end of my classes, and I may be heading back to the street looking. I really would like some expierence, and am wondering how to approach this. I am willing to work for free on my days off, or in exchange for my former career skills(welding,fabricating, and machining) I get many days off during the week, so that isn't the issue. I'm just not sure how where to start. I would like to work as a mechanic, or repair tech. Thanks all

Are you getting a degree or certificate in the area that you are trying to find work? Does the school you are finishing have a career center or career counselors?

Why are you looking to work for free? If the career is in the field of your classes, why not an entry level job? Companies frequently look for people with little experience to do simple work.

Go to the home page of the companies in your area.

...go to Job or carreer link

there you can find if the company is offering any opportunity for students.

...connection from your school could make your life easier...

Ciao,

Mauro

mbohuntr

Joined Apr 6, 2009
I was a welder/fabricator in another life, and I still have mortgage, car payments, kids etc. so starting completely over is not practical. I was hoping to slide in as a mechanic/ electrician and not take too big a pay hit. My classes are awsome, but I realize I'm a long way from competent. right now I am receiving a certificate to hopefully persuade my present employer to put me into maintanence. That may not happen. I am still finishing the degree.

Last edited:
Is working in you new desired field, with a degree, going to give you a pay hit?

Are there any internships or apprenticeships that are set up as part of your degree program? Maybe the school could help you set one up now... Do you know anyone who is currently working in the type of position that you are trying to get? People that know you from somewhere are often more willing to listen.

I think speaking with the career center at the school is usually a good first option. They can often times give you ideas of what companies are out there and what salaries you can expect.

Otherwise, you are going to have to make these contacts within the potential companies now. I would make a full time job the first priority. If that doesn't fit with your responsibilities, then see if some company is looking for part time help. I have a difficult time saying work for free, unless you are volunteering for a good cause...

Don't wait until you are done with the degree to start, being a student may help open some doors.

Hopefully others will throw in their opinions... there are definitely no "right" answers.

mbohuntr

Joined Apr 6, 2009
Thank-you, Don't get me wrong, My present pay is awsome!, And a nice job to boot. I would not Knock my company. It just takes such a toll on the body and the family life that I'm wondering if it's worth it. I likely will not be able to physically do it after another 10 years or so. If I cannot requalify, I'm done. I'm not good with being forced out long before I can retire. I don't have issues with learning for free, the payback comes when my starting pay is enough to live comfortably on. I have lots of time to learn, and am eager to do so. I think I'll talk to some HR dept's and see what might be available. Thanks again.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
You would think the Dallas area would have a lot of tech jobs, but I still haven't found many. A lot of manufacturing jobs have left for foriegn shores from what I can tell.