Cardboard for Project Enclosure Boxes?

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Lately I've been thinking about using plexiglass, assuming I can cut it with my metal shear,
chinese are infamous for making enclosures from plexiglass w/o ANY construction diagrams. New form of the chinese puzzle box I guess. I'm pretty sure the parts are water-jet cut although it's possible, maybe, that it's laser cut but I don't think so. The only thing holding them together is some machine screws and nuts. A few rubber bands used during mate up helps until once the pieces mate up and the final screws put in place. You might be able to score and break it or there is always the jewelers saw and files. I have done a bit of jeweler sawing and filing over the years for odd shape cutouts in aluminum project boxes.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
And drilling holes through plexiglass is very difficult. Using brad point wood bits from both sides can minimize cracking and splitting but make a messy hole. Forstner bits might work, but I haven’t tried. Also, they might not be available in smaller sizes.

Metal bits won’t work.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Here is one of the latest gizmo's for the bench, Var width, var freq PWM generator, $1 store food container.
The legends were printed on art paper and the front 'plexiglass' was a surplus/salvaged CD case cover.

Attachments