Car Voice Greeting DIY - Need Help - New Guy

DrewFace

Joined Aug 23, 2011
Hey everyone...new to the forum...interested in hearing what you all have to say and hopefully getting some help on something i'd like to put together.

It seems fairly simple in concept but i dont know much about building circuits, programming chips (and which ones to use), and interfacing with some sort of audio file and speaker in this case....so here is what i want to do: Simply have a voice greeting such as "Hello, Mr. (insert name here)", when starting my truck. Eventually whatever architecture is made could hopefully be built upon, maybe having some buttons that say various phrases or even reading your fuel amount (mine is a simple resistance measurement - old school truck) or something and reporting when its low, etc.. but i'll stick to the basic greeting for now.

I'm assuming it will need a constant 12V supply and then triggered (with a programmed delay) by the stereo remote wire. However, how to accomplish this is beyond me. I'm a mechanical engineer so i have a slight background in EC design, and Mechatronics, but that's been a few years. If someone could help me with the basics like: circuit design (microcontrollers?), do it need some sort of amplifier?, how to play and audio file generated on a computer - is that programmed into a chip or will it need to read it off some sort of storage device in the circuit?, etc... I really don't know where to start so if anyone has done something similar, has a schematic, or is willing to work with me, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks to everyone in advance,
Drew

DrewFace

Joined Aug 23, 2011
I don't consider this a modification to the automobile, simply an addition, no more evasive than adding a stereo system or in that matter, plugging an ipod into an existing stereo system. I assume this rule has been implemented only to avoid people from tinkering with an automobile's ability to function correctly. However, I will respect the rules of the forum and pose the question in a non-automotive related way in a new thread.

Regards,
Drew

iONic

Joined Nov 16, 2007
so here is what i want to do: Simply have a voice greeting such as "Hello, Mr. (insert name here)", when starting my truck.
As long as the OP is not fiddling with the ignition key mechanism itself.

You'd have to get a schematic of the ignition sequence and decide at which point you would want to greet the driver then tap off the fuse connection that meets those requirements.