Car Temperature Indicator.

Lanz

Joined Oct 30, 2008
Hi guys,need some help here.
Today,I back to hometown after a long time from study place.
As soon i reach my house,i get my car key and start it.
Then i drove a bit faster to reach nearby bank b4 its closed,but b4 i reach the bank,i heard some weird noise coming from the front of the car,so i just wondering whats the sound abt and when i turn my head towards the temperature meter,OMG the temperature was too high(half of the range).I stopped my car aside and think.Then i drive slowly back to my house.After the engine was cooled down,i open the radiator cap and checked for the water level,there is still some water there,can say 3/4 of ussual level.I think my dad forgot to fill up some water to the radiator.So im thinking of adding a circuit that can remind me when the temperature reach certain range and also with 7 segment temperature display in celcious..Maybe a signal from the thermostat can be used for this purpose.Any idea?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
i heard some weird noise coming from the front of the car,so i just wondering whats the sound abt
Most likely, it is from the water pump, which is failing. Check for wobble of its drive pulley and for coolant leakage from the bearing (there is often a small 3mm or so hole cross drilled in the support casting).

and when i turn my head towards the temperature meter,OMG the temperature was too high(half of the range).
It appears you already have a temperature gauge. Why do you need another one?

Finally, when you refill, it is best to use a mixture of antifreeze and water rather than water alone, even though you may not get freezing temperatures where you live. Replacement of a water pump is relatively easy to do. Be careful, however, in some cars the attachment bolts are doing duty, and you must take some precautions when removing them. Any model-specific manual will tell you whether that situation applies to your car and which bolts are affected by it.

John

Lanz

Joined Oct 30, 2008
Lanz,

What kind of car are you driving that doesn't have a temp gauge or at least "idiot lights"?

Ken
Ken i drive Toyota Corolla GL.It do have temperature gauge.All i need is a warning light or buzzer to warn me when the temperature raise high.It will be better if i got digital temperature display.

Most likely, it is from the water pump, which is failing. Check for wobble of its drive pulley and for coolant leakage from the bearing (there is often a small 3mm or so hole cross drilled in the support casting).
How it looks like and where its located?

It appears you already have a temperature gauge. Why do you need another one?
Yes,i do have.I just need a digital one that can display the temperature so that i can set the warning temperature value.

drc_567

Joined Dec 29, 2008
I second the water pump idea ....
You do not need an additional temperature warning ... you probably need a new water pump.
Get a flashlight ... torch ... some adequate illumination and inspect the area around where the drive belts are on the engine. If you look carefully, you should find a small diameter 'weep hole', which will show evidence of mineral evaporation due to the engine coolant leakage .....
If convenient, post a picture of your engine block .... the water pump if you can find it.

Do not hesitate to replace the WP.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
It is located on the engine, usually near the fan belt (if present) accessory belt or serpentine belt. It is driven by one of those belts. What model year do you have?

The small hole in the housing is barely visible in the insert photo. Many newer models don't use gaskets, but you must use a proper sealant.

John

Lanz

Joined Oct 30, 2008
I checked my car.There is no water leaking.But the reservoir tank has been full.Usually before a long drive,i will check the water level inside the radiator and fill some if not enough.After the long drive,i saw the reservoir tank is full and the water level inside the radiator is low again.I dont know why.

drc_567

Joined Dec 29, 2008
... Given the additional information .... the water pump may not be the source of the low water level in the radiator ...

Is there a radiator cap that is specific to the radiator? This cap would be separate from the coolant overflow bottle, and located actually on the radiator itself.
A common problem is that the radiator cap loses its pressure seal. This might be due to the gasket becoming brittle ... aging ... or possibly a weak spring. This may be what is happening, in such a manner that it would cause the coolant to appear to be low when you check it ... inside the radiator, but not within the coolant bottle.
If you have a well equipped auto repair shop nearby, they should actually be able to check your radiator cap, and determine it is sealing properly. There is a test device that will test the cap to a specified pressure .... for your vehicle.
However, it may be convenient to just purchase a new radiator cap and then take the car for a test drive.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Since your radiator is losing coolant but your overflow reservoir is staying full, you must have a leak in your cooling system somewhere. It could be anywhere that coolant flows through; radiator, radiator hoses, water pump, heater hoses, the heater core, head gasket, engine block, freeze plugs, etc.

If you have not maintained your antifreeze level and changed it at the recommended intervals, a corroded head gasket or corroded freeze plugs are likely.

Check your oil dipstick. If you have a leaking head gasket, coolant can leak into the engine oil and it will look milky. This is obviously very bad for your engine.

Take your car to a radiator shop and have them pressure test your cooling system. They can usually pinpoint where any leaks external to the engine block itself are pretty quickly.