car head unit

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Maybe, if you wanted to listen to it at a very low volume.

But, that unit isn't regulated. At no load, it might put out 17v or so.

If you want to listen to your head unit at fairly loud levels, you will need a supply that outputs regulated 13.8V DC at up to 20 Amperes. Otherwise, you will have lots of distortion/clipping.

If you want to narrow your requirements down a bit more, take a look at the fuse in your head end unit. If you want to use the amplifier as well, look at the fuses in that too.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
A regulated PSU of 12v to 14v that is capable of supplying at least 20% more power than you need.

Since you have not told us anything about the power rating of your car head, nor the power rating of your amplifier, we cannot help you any more.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Modern car radios have 4 amplifiers that produce 14W each into 4 ohms. Then the output power is 56W (they are advertised at 200 Whats) and the heating is another 45W for a total of 101W.
The current at 12V is (101W/12V)= 8.4A.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I dont think the PSU can power up car amps, as the low range kicks in the PSU might shut down, but this is not case with head units as the audio power is not that much.
But when I think of it, let me try a set up.
I do have a kenwood amp and plenty of beefy PSU's....hmmmmm....another project coming up

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I don't have a head unit and amp handy.

MPJA.com has a 12v 17A unit on sale for $15:
http://www.mpja.com/email/05-04-10a.asp?s=26&r=ref
However, it needs a power cord, fuseholder, enclosure, fan(s) capable of delivering >38CFM, etc. etc. - the accessories could wind up costing more than the supply itself. :rolleyes:

Besides, unless you've spent a good bit of time in electronics, trying that supply would not be for you. Converting an ATX supply to a bench supply would be much easier.

Here's a 420W ATX supply for about the same price:
http://www.mpja.com/prodinfo.asp?number=18031+PS
But you would not need to buy much of the other stuff like enclosures, fans, etc.
Just a standard PC power cord, and a power resistor to load the 5v supply.
Google "ATX Bench Supply" for lots of ideas.

aespino88

Joined Mar 31, 2010
would you know what kind of psu's the people use in those youtube videos where they have have powering a very large amp and like 2 12" subwoofers??? i'm don't want to do a whole audio system i just want to power the head unit.

i have a panasonic cq-c7103u

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
I worked for a Pro-audio manufacturer. In our demo room the very efficient speakers were powered from 600W amplifiers.
I sneaked in my portable 4.5W per channel amplifier and nobody noticed any difference!
Everybody was afraid of breaking the windows (or their hearing) if it was turned up too loud. With 9W peaks it was very loud (up close).