Captcha workaround -- sort of

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I discovered, quite by accident, that the captcha settings are fairly loose.

When it displays a number captcha, it usually displays two where one is computer generated and the other appears to be an image of a house address. I accidentally entered just the computer-generated one (it was actually the second displayed in this case) and it worked. The next time, I tried entering just the house number, and it didn't. But through more trail an error I discovered that it appears that you never have to enter the house number and you don't have to enter all of the other numbers or get all the ones that you do enter correct. I don't know what the limits are.

When you get a text captcha, it seems to be more picky. You can't just enter one of them (even the longer one), but you can get one or two characters wrong. This is useful because there are a good fraction of the damn things that I simply can't figure out what some of the letters are and the button to request a different one doesn't work.

While this discovery has made the damn captchas a bit less annoying, they are still pretty high on my list.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Hola WBahn,

In the last days I run across that annoying thing many times in a row.

Found that just by typing correctly some of the computer generated ones, I passed OK.

Since the last thing I would like is to test it thorougly, I could be wrong but it seemed to work like that.

BTW, who has the power to cancel or manage that to make it at least, less annoying?

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I have the impression that the Captcha is a feature of the Cloudfront service.

I'm not sure if Cloudfront comes as an add-on to the forum software or if it is a separately manageable set of options on another server.

If it's the first, then the administrator's password is required to change the options.
If it's the latter, then the one with access to the service's options is responsible for tuning it. I guess that's the administrators too.

The administration. And while you're at it, tell them I said hi.

Administration?

No, I don’t think so. I learned in High School it’s best to stay under cover. I took some papers to the office to make copies. The Principle asked me into his office.

“Joe, did you skip school on the 14th?”

I replied, “Was that a Friday?”

(It was better than 40 years ago and my memory is a bit foggy of those days. I believe I was running the low hurdles at a school track meet, the point is -- I learned “out of sight, out of mind.”)

:) joe