Captcha requirements???

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I have recently been challenged by a "Captcha" requirement because a 3.6k .png is "suspicious".

This is so inconvenient! Why you gotta do that to signed in members?
What is it really challenging? Do I have to go through that every time I post a drawing?

elec_mech

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Same thing happened to me today.

I was responding to a post, went to Manage Attachments, added my .png file, clicked upload and was greeted with something along the lines of "This is suspicious. Fill in the Captcha to prove you're not a bot." Did it and it worked if I clicked whatever it was as the accept button. If I hit enter it gave me a new Captcha.

That said, I existed the Manage Attachments, discovered I goofed, went back into MA, removed the .png and added another with no Captcha requirement. Odd.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Cloudfront asks me for a captcha usually when I login to another site from different IPs. I must admit that so far I have not seen any usefulness in that service; only hindrance.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
If it could be limited to users with under 25 posts that'd be ideal. I think having capatchas would be a great way to cut down on the spam sprees we've been getting, but I don't see why senior members should be required to use them. Hoping one of the admins is reading this thread--I think capatchas will help a lot, but should be limited to new members. I've seen it work this way on several other forums and it works great.

My $0.02 :)

Matt

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I had to do another Captcha again today for 2 words and a .png. Very suspicious, those .png's!

Let me rephrase that. The Captcha program is so badly written that it thinks a 3 kilobyte .png is "suspicious".
This is inappropriate, especially on a site that prefers .png's to any other format.
Please notice that I am officially complaining.
Please do something to reduce this nuisance.

Last edited:

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
I think it is kind of a protective measure. It might be that some image was the cause in my case. Perhaps if the image had some signature of something bad inside. After all an image is just a random collection of bytes. If this is a one time thing. I can live with it

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I make my own drawings with MS Paint. Nothing but shapes and labels. Just a random collection of bytes. There is nothing suspicious about that, but the Captcha program repeatedly blocks me.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
If that is what it takes to change this recent change to something appropriate, I wish you would tell somebody that can do something about it.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I got captcha'ed updating my avatar. First time ever on the site. The page also say's to contact the administrator to allow uploads without a captcha.