Capacitors power rating

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
You need to know the ESR of the capacitor. The power loss in that resistance due to the AC current determines how much the capacitor heats up. Typically I would say you would want that power loss to be less than a watt.

yassser

Joined Jul 25, 2011
thanks , I just want to make sure I understand it correctly

1.calculate the cap. impedance Z = (1/wc)
2.calculate current passing through cap. I = V/Z
3.Voltage drop across ESR : Vd= I*ESR
3.Dissipated power in cap. = I*Vd

is that correct?

and I can't find any datasheet that mentions the cap ESR as well , is there someway to measure it?

yassser

Joined Jul 25, 2011
it's an h-bridge circuit , i need to stabilize the glitches that happen because of the stray inductance and affect the electronics , V=160v , f=10KHz

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
For your question, please post a schematic of the circuit, voltage it is operating at, load current/load type, power supply information, and the exact problem you are having with it (scope pictures, overheating, etc). That will make it easier to suggest solutions.

Read these articles and see the advantages/disadvantages of various dielectrics (capacitor types), some go into great detail with math, one is a charts, the rest are a combination.

ESR/ESL (Disspation Factor/DF when combined) is the 3rd aspect of capacitors, second to voltage and value. Some applications aren't "picky" about ESR/DF, while others, such as filter capacitors, must have low ESR capacitors.

Mathematical and in-depth paper on capacitors and ESR/ESL

Quick Reference Sheet showing pros, cons, and uses of various types of capacitors by dielectric material

Analog Devices Engineers paper, easy to read, with table at end for capacitors

AVX capacitor comparison chart

Visual Guide to capacitor types

Polyester Film aren't the best choice for bypassing noise, but there are worse options around. If high current is expected to be pass through, look at type types with low inductance and low ESR or low DF