Capacitor Voltage Rating in attached schematic

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Maybe I didn't phrase my question correctly. I would like to know the minimum safe working voltage of the 2200μF output capacitors shown in the stereo amp schematic in post 1. I am aware that 50V caps would work, but, as you can see from the attached table, they are quite large, and I would like to keep the assembly as small as possible and stil have a safe design. All of the caps used in the (attached) BTL schematic are 10V or less, but there are no large output caps used there, so I am not sure what's correct.

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

ifixit

Joined Nov 20, 2008
For Vs=15V...

A 16V electrolytic is more than enough, but you can use higher voltage ratings if you have some handy, and room for the larger size. The highest voltage the cap will ever see is 15V, and then, only if the amp output has failed and is shorted to the VS rail. :(

Regards,
Ifixit

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
For Vs=15V...

A 16V electrolytic is more than enough, but you can use higher voltage ratings if you have some handy, and room for the larger size. The highest voltage the cap will ever see is 15V, and then, only if the amp output has failed and is shorted to the VS rail. :(

Regards,
Ifixit
Thanks. I suspected that, but wanted a more knowledgeable person's opinion.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
The output capacitors have a voltage of only 7.5V across them. Capacitors rated at only 10V will last a long time but might be too small. Use 16V or 25V capacitors.