Capacitor-Start, Capacitor-Run Motor as a Generator

Ruben Becerra

Joined Jan 11, 2011
Hello awesome minds,

I have a project that needs a nudge. I am attempting to turn a Capacitor-Start, Capacitor-Run Motor into a generator. I am finding it a real challenge to locate anything anywhere on the web about how well this can work. It feels as thought the capacitors, without power put on them, are acting as breaks. I want to ask - specifically- if I am trying to make a generator with the wrong system, motor. Should I use a motor with no capacitors at all?

Please adivise - Ruben

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
You do not necessarily need a permanent magnet rotor. The asynchronous induction generator employs a rotor similar to an induction motor. In broad-brush terms, it is like an induction motor being forced to rotate at above its synchronous speed.

These things have attracted some interest lately, perhaps because of possible applications to small-scale power generation e.g. from windmills.

See the following link:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induction_generator

Ruben Becerra

Joined Jan 11, 2011
I went to the links... very good info. Thank you again.

So, what type motor would be the best to use for a grid tie in that will be powered by air. I have a mechanical prime mover with abundant air compression potential. I am trying to stay around 5hp because of the limits of my prime mover.
Thanks again- in advance.