Capacitor-Resistor-Capacitor Circuit Equation

Chuck Johnson

Joined Sep 5, 2006
Looking for an equation to describe the voltage level on each of two capacitors versus time. Each capacitor has a "bleed" resistor across it. First capacitor charged to 10 volts. A switch close connecting the first capacitor (C1) to a second capacitor (C2) through a resistor (R1). Can anyone provide either:
1. Equation desired.
2. Source material containing equation desired.

Thanks!:)

Rail Ranger

Joined Aug 22, 2006
Looking for an equation to describe the voltage level on each of two capacitors versus time. Each capacitor has a "bleed" resistor across it. First capacitor charged to 10 volts. A switch close connecting the first capacitor (C1) to a second capacitor (C2) through a resistor (R1). Can anyone provide either:
1. Equation desired.
2. Source material containing equation desired.

Thanks!:)
correct me if i'm wrong, but i feel you are missing something else here, like is the circuit a series or parallel or series-parallel circuit?

http://www.faqs.org/docs/electric/AC/AC_4.html

perhaps above link may be of some help?

or perhaps this other site?

http://www.ecircuitcenter.com/Circuits/SWCap/SWCap.htm

Chuck Johnson

Joined Sep 5, 2006
I tried to post an image, unsuccessfully. The lower plate of each capacitor is tied to ground. Each capacitor has a shunt resistor across it. The two capacitors are connected through a switch and a resistor. First capacitor is fully charged, then the connecting switch is closed transferring charge from the first capacitor to the second through the series resistor.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I tried to post an image, unsuccessfully. The lower plate of each capacitor is tied to ground. Each capacitor has a shunt resistor across it. The two capacitors are connected through a switch and a resistor. First capacitor is fully charged, then the connecting switch is closed transferring charge from the first capacitor to the second through the series resistor.
When you go to post a reply to this thread go down to manage attachments and this will open a new window from which you can upload the image from your computer. When you post your reply the attachment will be appended to the post.

Alternatively, you can link to an image on the net through use of the tags: [ IMG ] <Image URL> [ /IMG ] *Remove the spaces.

Dave