Capacitor recommendations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTeclips

Joined Feb 18, 2012
I am working on a mini emp generator, and I need several capacitors to combine into a bank.

By what I have heard, I will need around 150-200v 5-10mf caps, and preferably on the smaller side.

If you know of any caps that are similar to these specs or you have your own thoughts on it, please let me know.

Thank you for viewing.

ssnyde

Joined Apr 4, 2012
You can get a single Aluminum electrolyic for this. The energy density of a supercapacitor (electrec double layer, ultracap, etc) is the best coming in at 0.1 MJ/kg, which would give you about 1/2 kg weight, but you can't really use these as they're voltage rating is only a few volts. Combining many in series presents a charging problem because they have tolerance, so the voltage is not divided evenly, likely overvolting some and damaging them. So you'll have to go with Aluminum so it will be heavier that the 1/2 kg. Narrow down the digi-key list to above your voltage and capacity, and remember to derate the voltage. Also these are polarized. Also how fast does it need to charge / discharge? Remember to spec ESR / ripple current to meet your rate.

Example Epcos B43310A9478M000

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Not to be a party-pooper, but your not going to get an EMP at those voltages. Not if your talking about a electronics destroying EMP. If your talking about triggering some thing like a xenon flash tube, you'd be in the right range.

GTeclips

Joined Feb 18, 2012
Yes, I have already tried 5x 35v caps in parallel and series, no luck. I am very newbie when it comes to smart talk and term usage about electronics, all I know is I will need high voltage, high capacitance, low ESR caps. I suppose price and size are flexible. I just don't want some Godzilla capacitor.

I'm not necessarily looking for the perfect cap (Although that would be nice). I'm not afraid to trouble shoot either. I just need a cap-cap bank that can quickly discharge high amounts of current through a coil, hopefully resulting in the destruction of a cell phone from like a foot or so away.

*EDIT* Just though I should add that charge time is of no worry, I really don't care how long it would take.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I will close this thread as it violates the ToS, where is following stated:

Forum members must not knowingly provide any information that may adversely affect another member; this includes, but is not restricted to, information that may potentially result in injury, death, damage or destruction of property and possessions. The administration takes this matter seriously and has the right to remove any contentious content and deal with the offending member as it deems is necessary.
Bertus

Status
Not open for further replies.