capacitor or condensor!!!!

onlyvinod56

Joined Oct 14, 2008
Hi everyone.
i have a doubt about the capacitors.
I heard about ceramic(disc shape) capacitors and electrolytic capacitors(condensers). what is the difference between these two?
There is no polarity restriction for disc shape capacitors, but there for condensers. mostly the disc shape capacitors are available in PFs. But the others are mostly available in micro farads. Can i use same rating disc type in place of electrolytic?

thank you.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
still had a doubt. Can i use a polarized capacitor in place of a unpolarized cap?
Only if proper polarity for the polarized cap is maintained, if ESR (equivalent series resistance) is not a consideration, and the temperature and working voltage ratings are taken into consideration.
Another case, consider a filter capacitor at the output terminals of a rectifier. A 1000microfd capacitor is used to make it ripple free. What will happen if an unpolarized cap is used?
You may have an insurmountable challenge finding a non-electrolytic 1000 uF capacitor. You could make up a bank of several smaller caps in parallel, but such would become both expensive and tedious.