Capacitor Cube

Heavydoody

Joined Jul 31, 2009
Awhile back there was a thread on here about a resistor cube. A similar problem has come up in my physics class, the only difference being that the resistors have been replaced with 1pF capacitors. I flattened out the cube:

...and noticed that the A and B nodes are three capacitors in parallel each. However, in the middles section, while the pairs of capacitors coming off of the initial (red) node share a common node each, they do not on the other (blue) side. So, they are not truly in parallel. However, since they are all equal, I surmised that they would behave as if they were in parallel, and I come up with this:

Can anyone offer any corrections to my solution or suggestions for a better method?

jlcstrat

Joined Jun 19, 2009
I'm pretty sure you got it. Maybe someone else can confirm, but I see no problem with the final solution. I think you can usually think of it as 3 parallel in series with 6 parallel in series with 3 parallel.

Heavydoody

Joined Jul 31, 2009
I'm pretty sure you got it. Maybe someone else can confirm, but I see no problem with the final solution. I think you can usually think of it as 3 parallel in series with 6 parallel in series with 3 parallel.
I just did the math that way and did indeed come up with the same answer. Two methods, same answer, must be correct :D