capacitive touch screens

curious_to_know

Joined Jun 23, 2007
Hi!
i am upto something techy this summer. so i am curious_to_know the technical aspects of the capacitive touch screen- the actual capacitance developed, the minimum area of contact and/or the field required...that to if any.

i made some effort like "googling" but unfortunately got my hand only on the basic working principle without any such technical specifications

is anyone having such data?
also is any one aware of the the notion ink adam? any idea if it is using the projected capacitance or the surface capacitance.

ps: do not post links of wikipedia or howstuffworks ---the don't give the tech data i am looking for.

thanks
curious_to_know

curious_to_know

Joined Jun 23, 2007
thanks a lot for the link!

the specifications mention the circuit voltage requirements i am still unable to find the sensor capacitance requirements.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
I did a PIC project with free HEX file that measures and displays capacitance down to 0.01pF in 0.01pF resolution;
http://www.romanblack.com/onesec/CapMeter.htm

It's ideal for working with capacitance sensors as you can connect it to your pad prototypes etc and read the change in capacitance from putting your finger near the pad. As an example putting my finger 10mm from a single wire increases the capacitance 0.05pF and my finger 5mm from the wire makes 0.10pF.

For working with capacitance sensors it really helps to have a high resolution sensitive capacitance meter. Check it out. :)