Capacitive Sensor application help

emily123

Joined Feb 16, 2013
I wish to use capacitive sensors on two sides of a block to sense the pressure change when pressed. The block surfaces would allow a displacement of about 2mm.

Could anyone please help me proceed?

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
does it have to be contactless sensing? what is your budget? what output type you expect for given change (analog or discrete?)

while there is plenty of industrial prox sensors, most are inductive, few are capacitive and fewer are with analog output (rare means harder to find and more expensive).
if you can attach metal plate as target to side of block that changes dimension, you could take advantage of more common inductive linear prox sensors such as
IWRM-08U9501/S35 (0..2mm)
FCM1-1804G-V3U2 (0..4mm)
etc.

otherwise, check things like:
http://www.lionprecision.com/capacitive-sensors/cpa100.html

there are also ultrasound and laser displacement sensors at even higher cost and usually bigger range than what you need.

emily123

Joined Feb 16, 2013
No, there would be human finger contact on the surfaces, I mean the surface would be be actually deformed and the deformation needs to be sensed to digital output.I need analog output which would be proportional to the deformation.

Budget, well I need good sensitivity. Budget isn't an issue, but I wish to achieve this using capacitive sensing. Is that not a viable approach?