Can't see HB100 output

ord6

Joined Jan 24, 2014
Hello,

I'm using the HB100 speed sensor for a project (http://www.limpkin.fr/public/HB100/HB100_Microwave_Sensor_Application_Note.pdf).

To get things started, I applied 5V to the 5V pin and connected to ground.

When connecting the IF output to the scope all I can see is a noisy signal (image attached), and not a signal that is presented in the video (bottom signal) in the following link:
http://www.limpkin.fr/index.php?pos...lectronics-for-a-$7-USD-doppler-motion-sensor.

Can someone help me to see a nice signal in the scope like there is in the video?

Thanks.

Attachments

Last edited:

ord6

Joined Jan 24, 2014
Did you build and test the amplifier and filter circuit the author recommended?
I wanted to see if the sensor works before trying the circuit.

you need to filter out the signal. Use a low pass filter as mentioned in the data sheet.
I know that I need to filter and amplify the signal and I designed the circuit that I want to use but before that I wanted to check if the sensor works so I'm trying to get the same output as the author in the link above (the bottom signal is suppose to be the IF output of the sensor)

Is it possible that the sensor is nonfunctional? or maybe the scope I'm using can't read this low signal (micro volts)?

Thanks.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
On the web page you cited, the author, limpkin wrote:
"The HB100 outputs a low level voltage (few uV) whose frequency represents the speed at which an object is moving towards or away from the sensor. The output can be very noisy, so in addition to amplifying the signal, we need to filter out frequencies that don't match what we expect from ordinary objects."

The emphasis is by the author.

It looks like you are going to need both the amplification and the filtration if you want to see the signal.

ord6

Joined Jan 24, 2014
On the web page you cited, the author, limpkin wrote:
"The HB100 outputs a low level voltage (few uV) whose frequency represents the speed at which an object is moving towards or away from the sensor. The output can be very noisy, so in addition to amplifying the signal, we need to filter out frequencies that don't match what we expect from ordinary objects."

The emphasis is by the author.

It looks like you are going to need both the amplification and the filtration if you want to see the signal.
I asked the author and he said that the lower signal is IF, straight from the sensor, without any processing.