Can't identify a capacitor - Can anyone help please?

Pauliolio

Joined May 11, 2014
Hi,

I have a motherboard that someone's knocked a capacitor off of.
It's an Asus board that makes a big point of using TUF components.

The capacitor that's been knocked off has this written on it:

FP
TUF
16/101
OXCv

I *think* it's a 10μf cap (speculating wildly) from hints I've found, but that's probably wrong & I have absolutely no idea on its other specs.

I haven't been able to track down any sort of listing of TUF components at all.

Does anyone know what this little beastie is please?

Many thanks,
Pauliolio

Pauliolio

Joined May 11, 2014
Many thanks guys :)

Out of interest, do you get that from what's written on it (if so what's the code please (I think I get it, but why '101'?)), or do you look it up somewhere (where please)?

I drew a complete blank searching, it'd be handy to know a solution for next time :)

Paul.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
The code means that the frist two numbers are the value, the third number is the number of zeroes behind it, so 470 would be 47uF and 472 would be 4700uF.

However the same notation is used for ceramic caps as well, but there 472 would mean 4700pF or 4.7nF, so you have to use a bit of thinking to decide which one of those it is, and since this is a largish electrolytic cap then it is the first one.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
The code means that the frist two numbers are the value, the third number is the number of zeroes behind it, so 470 would be 47uF and 472 would be 4700uF.

However the same notation is used for ceramic caps as well, but there 472 would mean 4700pF or 4.7nF, so you have to use a bit of thinking to decide which one of those it is, and since this is a largish electrolytic cap then it is the first one.
That could well be the first electrolytic I've seen with that notation, but its become the norm for pretty much everything else.

The moulded block tantalums are often marked that way, SMD resistors and inductors have been for longer than I can remember.