1. We will be in Read Only mode (no new threads, replies, registration) starting at 9:00 EDT for a number of hours as we migrate the forums to upgraded software.

Can't find rare capacitor

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Guajiro, Jul 2, 2010.

  1. Guajiro

    Thread Starter New Member

    Jul 2, 2010
    This project very specifically calls for a 1uF radial electrolytic 16V cap and I can't find one anywhere. Plenty of 50V, etc.

    My question is: can I use a 50V caps without affecting the performance? I have a suspicion that it calls for this style and size for a reason, since many of the other caps are more common, ceramic type.

    This is for a homemade earth resistivity logger, commonly used in the mining industry.

    If I can't use 50V, any suggestions on places to find a 1uF 16V rad elec. cap or an alternative?

  2. bountyhunter

    Well-Known Member

    Sep 7, 2009
    Yes, you can substitute a higher voltage electrolytic.
  3. SgtWookie


    Jul 17, 2007
    You can almost always substitute a higher voltage rating capacitor.

    Be aware that a higher voltage rating may increase the ESR of the capacitor. If they recommended a specific mfgr & part number, find the datasheet for that capacitor, and match the specifications to a substitute.
  4. bountyhunter

    Well-Known Member

    Sep 7, 2009
    Actually, a higher voltage ratig usually means a LOWER value of ESR, since going up in voltage for the same capacitance will mean a larger physical size and ESR will ROUGHLY correlate to physical size in a given family of capacitors.