can't find part datasheet

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
I would say its a Diode, possibly a 15Volt zener, looking at the pcb markings there is a (K) symbol at one end , so maybe Cathode of a diode, also the position says VR511/2 possibly Voltage Regulator.

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
why don't you just send it back for a repair instead of blowing 1000s of $?

if the VFD is gone because of fried output, rest should still work and be tested (even without IGBTs and load). but if the rest is fried, good luck with trying to repair that, you will need it. if the damage went all the way to DSP and memory, simply swapping parts will not work, they will need to be programmed too.

Last edited:

BSomer

Joined Dec 28, 2011
thank you. Do you know it for sure?
This VFD cost about $20K, and I already spent about 3K for parts.
I am fairly certain that is the part. The "FAH15" as I read it is the mfg date code and or lot code. The "NZ" is the actual part code. If you look throught the datasheet I linked to and find SMBJ100A in the chart you will see a column that shows the part code marking. The attached image is cut from the SMD code book that I have. I did not find anything in a 2 pin package with a code of "FAH" or "FAN".

Attachments

Onilll

Joined Oct 25, 2010
I am fairly certain that is the part. The "FAH15" as I read it is the mfg date code and or lot code. The "NZ" is the actual part code. If you look throught the datasheet I linked to and find SMBJ100A in the chart you will see a column that shows the part code marking. The attached image is cut from the SMD code book that I have. I did not find anything in a 2 pin package with a code of "FAH" or "FAN".
the problem are FAH15NZ and FAH19NZ different. 15 have polarity, and 19 not. both have NZ at the end. On this picture whole board. 6 channels. Each have 1 pcs FAH19NZ (marked red) and 7 FAH15NZ (marked yellow).

Attachments

BSomer

Joined Dec 28, 2011
You are checking these in circuit. So you may get different readings than what is expected. The IGBT is obviously bad in areas. there look to be some SMD resistors bad as well. What is on the bottom side of the PCB? Anything that could be connected to the diodes? I would be cautious of using that PCB again because the potential energy release from the IGBT. Do you see any further damage on the bottom side of the PCB, especially around the upper right corner where there is a trace lifted?

Onilll

Joined Oct 25, 2010
I know about IGBT and resistors and have replacement.
Other side of PCB looks good.

Attachments

Last edited:

BSomer

Joined Dec 28, 2011
According to the datasheets that I have found for that "NZ" coded diode, they are unidirectional. Also noted on the datasheet that I posted in post #5, it states that bidirectional diodes do not have a polarity marking. As I was saying before, the "FAH15 / FAH19" is just the date code / mfg marking / posibly lot number. With that in mind I would test the ones you have that show no polarity out of circuit and/or replace all of them, they do not cost that much.

Onilll

Joined Oct 25, 2010
According to the datasheets that I have found for that "NZ" coded diode, they are unidirectional. Also noted on the datasheet that I posted in post #5, it states that bidirectional diodes do not have a polarity marking. As I was saying before, the "FAH15 / FAH19" is just the date code / mfg marking / posibly lot number. With that in mind I would test the ones you have that show no polarity out of circuit and/or replace all of them, they do not cost that much.
take a look one more time on this diodes, you think they are same?

Attachments