Cannot get PIC to communicate with MPLAB!

dannybeckett

Joined Dec 9, 2009
I am having some serious problems with getting my PIC to talk to my PICKit3. I am making an electrochemical biosensor reader, however I am only at the very start of populating the prototype board. I am trying to get my PIC to communicate through the programming port I have placed onto the board, but every time I try to connect to it, I get the error message:

Target Device ID (00000000) does not match expected Device
ID (18724000).

I have double checked the PGC and PGD lines and they are connected to pins 26 and 27 respectively. Here is the schematic for the programming port:

Here is the connection to the PIC:

I am using a dsPIC33EP512MU810, connected to a PICKit3 and MPLAB8. I have even got a screenshot of the communications which happens on the PGC and PGD lines:

I have checked all the power connections to the PIC and they are OK. What can I possibly check next? I've completely run out of ideas.

Dan

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Remove R106, R105 and C114. Then connect the PICKIT directly to the MCLR pin. Just to have one more thing less to think about. I often use the configuration bits. To disable the MCLR function during development. Also the PICKIT3 hate long cables from the programmer to the target. They should be shorter than 20cm

dannybeckett

Joined Dec 9, 2009
Thanks for the info t06afre, though I have just found the problem(s). Vcap was not connected, VUSB3V3 was not connected and AVDD and AVSS were not connected. This is my first PIC board, and I didn't know to connect all these up! page 32 in the datasheet came in very handy....

Case closed, my bad!