Can you use permanent magnets...

Boomer999

Joined May 2, 2013
Can you use permanent magnets In an alternator Instead of electromagnets? And the poles/magnets are they staggered north south like a generator? I was going to build an 8 pole/magnet rotor. Was wondering if I would stager them North South. I think I do. But would just like to confirm it. My textbook is pretty good Delmar,s Standard Textbook of Electricity. But it seems to have left this info out. Help please.:)

Ramussons

Joined May 3, 2013
Can you use permanent magnets In an alternator Instead of electromagnets?
Yes you can. You may have constraints on Voltage Control, Overload Control, etc.

And the poles/magnets are they staggered north south like a generator?
Yes, they are.

Ramesh

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Can you use permanent magnets In an alternator Instead of electromagnets?
Yes you can. You may have constraints on Voltage Control, Overload Control, etc.
+1
The alternator has the variable rotor current so that the output voltage can be controlled even as the mechanical input RPM varies wildly. When you replace this variable control with permanent magnets, your output voltage will vary with input RPM. If you want constant voltage output, you will need constant input RPM.

That is the theory part of the answer. The practical part - actually replacing the rotor winding with magnets - is something I can't answer. I've never tried or read about anyone else trying. It seems to me like it might be harder than it's worth. You may be better off to buy a permanent magnet motor to start.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
It is the difference between an alternator and a generator.

Automotive topics, especially electrical, are not allowed on AAC. It is part of our terms of service. Are you thinking of actually doing something like this?

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
This post is not automotive, it is about making a motor from an alternator. Becides a strong ring magnet, a position sensor is needed, along with a pulsed DC drive ckt.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
You don't need those complications to convert an alternator into a PMA. You just need to replace the former electromagnets (field windings) with permanent magnets.

Boomer999

Joined May 2, 2013
Yes I am building this. And it is for no application. I am just playing in my garage. And it it is not automotive i am just using the windings from an alternator. It's low budget. Experimenting and learning. Some of the questions I am asking is just to confirm what I was thinking.

Attachments

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
The DIY wind energy guys do this a lot. Look around and you'll find tons of tips and tricks. Wire gauges to use, favorite magnets and configurations, real world performance data, and so on.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Motorcyle alternators usually use a permanent magnet rotor and a single phase or 3 phase stator.

You could use parts from a motorcycle alternator in your home made device.

Boomer999

Joined May 2, 2013
Did some research about the conversions for alternators for air turbines. They half the wire size and double the turns. Which can do one of two things for you. At the same rpm it creates double the voltage or you can half the rpm to get the original voltage. As well you can take the rivets out of the windings cores and bolt two together you do the same thing again. Double the voltage or half the rpm to get original voltage. You can take the the original circular mil size and devide by four and multiply the turns by four and multiply voltage by 4 but amps really start to drop. I have 2 cores here that I am going to bolt together and rewind with 22 gauge. It's 1/4 the circular mils of the 16 gauge that was in them. And I just happen to have a spool.