can you identify this part?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Look at the crater in the solder next to R915! That really got hurt!

Oh yeah, I agree with Dave. R909 is 1800 ohms.

timalachowsky

Joined Sep 16, 2012
thanks for your help. I realize that the one I pointed to was not the damaged one. The damaged one is larger than the one identified. How do I find out how many Ohms it is and is this part replaceable?

Tealc

Joined Jun 30, 2011
Unless you can read what it says identification will be tricky. A schematic would be handy, or an image of the board from another TV.

timalachowsky

Joined Sep 16, 2012
in your opinion, am i better off tossing the circuit board and tv? also, I was able to decipher some numbers on the resistor. It starts with a 2 , has one or two digits, and ends with a 2

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
in your opinion, am i better off tossing the circuit board and tv? also, I was able to decipher some numbers on the resistor. It starts with a 2 , has one or two digits, and ends with a 2
No I did not say so. So once again. The reason for the resistor is burnt. Is caused by some excessive currents. Caused by another component failing. Resistors do not fail in that way out of the blue. I am only trying to help here

tester272001

Joined Aug 24, 2012
I've seen some circuts where the resistor is designed to blow in case of over current. I think that picofuses are better but its up to the engineer. What is the model and brand of this TV? maybe I have a schematic or perhaps locate one on the net. BTW you could try to hook a high wattage variable resistor on there and slowly decease the resistance. The variable resistor will burn out the same once the current get high enough.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Have a look at the other resistors on the pcb, see if you can see if there other resisistors with the same markings, that you can compare it with by measuring its resistance.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
D904 is also blackened on one end, and the terminal with the molten crater blown out is one of the main copper leads into T901 which appears to be a very large transformer from the foot print. Chances are there are opens and/or shorted turns in it as well.

If this was a lightning strike then there are probably many more hidden problems.