Can you guys help me re-create the W1209 Thermostat Module?

mmgcsta

Joined Apr 26, 2024
Hello guys! I just wanted to ask you guys about some component replacements so that I can recreate the W1209 Digital Thermostat Module.

The parts I want to replace are the following:

AMS1117-5.0
STM8S003F3P6

Also, what values do you think I should use with the Diodes (D1) and Transistor?

I know you'll ask me "Why don't you just buy the board?", As a student I want to learn how the past inventors of this circuit made the whole project, and also it is summer in my place I want to make a thermostat and learn at the same time. I hope you can give me a bit of your time, thanks!

W1209-temperature-controller(02).jpg

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
AMS1117-5.0 is a +5V 3-terminal voltage regulator. A LM7805 linear regulator will work but note that the pin-out is different.
LM1086-5.0 is a replacement

You can replace the STM8S003F3P6 but it will not work. It is a microcontroller and needs to be programmed.

mmgcsta

Joined Apr 26, 2024
AMS1117-5.0 is a +5V 3-terminal voltage regulator. A LM7805 linear regulator will work but note that the pin-out is different.
LM1086-5.0 is a replacement

You can replace the STM8S003F3P6 but it will not work. It is a microcontroller and needs to be programmed.
Thank you! I don't have the means yet to get both the AMS1117-5.0 and STM8S003F3P6

mmgcsta

Joined Apr 26, 2024

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
but the MCU will also need a programmer. if you are interested in starting with MCUs i would recommend to get a kit or something that has plenty of support. one easy to start option is to use an Arduino, and there are shields wht have 7-segments displays and buttons. software is free and no programmer is needed

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
If you want to learn how to program an STM8 MCU, the best place to start is by becoming familiar with the STM ecosystem.
You begin my acquiring the STM8 Discovery board and follow the instructions on how to get started with their IDE (integrated development environment).

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Hello again, I just wanted to know how do I program the STM8S003F3P6, if I happen to buy a new one?
OMG, you have a long road ahead of you.

It can be a fun road but remember, things seem simple when you don't understand them. There are years of engineering experience in just that simple sensor.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
As spook says, it is a long road ahead.

However, I would say that usually somethings look complicated when you don't understand them. But the time and effort required to learn how to program an MCU should not be taken lightly.

I would say that it takes 3 to 12 months of learning and practice to be comfortable at programming. Then another 5 years or more to become really good at it.

Welcome to the wonderful and rewarding world of learning how to develop and apply embedded systems!

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
You don't truly understand something until it seems obvious to you. I would tell the OP, it's like an onion, many layers that all will make you want to cry. until it's done.

Last edited:

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
We don't know the level of experience the TS has. However, one would begin with some lessons in the following areas:

1. Basic electricity and magnetism
  2. Ohm's Law
  3. Basic electronic devices and circuits
  4. Boolean algebra
  5. Logic circuits
  6. Computer architecture and machine language
  7. Concepts of Structured Programming
  8. Programming in C or other HLL (high level language)

As you can see, the list is already quite long even though I may have intentionally or unintentionally omitted some areas. It would take at minimum three to five years of study at a college or university to acquire knowledge and experience in these areas.

I am not saying it cannot be done as a hobbyist. I am simply saying that electronics and computers cover a very vast ocean of knowledge and if you want to swim in it then you need to get your toes wet at some point.