Can you guys help me figure out what component it is?

Thread Starter


Joined Jan 23, 2009
I just need a name of the component shown in that image below. It's marked red . It was blown out, I must find an replacement component. Additional information, this is an power supply circuit board of "DPSN-96AP-1 A"



Joined Jul 17, 2007
If one clicks on the image, a larger version will come up. Clicking on the larger version will cause a still larger version to come up.

I agree with Alberto; it looks like a ceramic capacitor with clear heat-shrink tubing over it.

Carefully cut the heat shrink tubing off to enable reading the value from one side or the other.

Thread Starter


Joined Jan 23, 2009
thanks, for clearifying.

Btw. I found out that it's an Varistor "MDC Z151-03UL". If I understand correctly, it's used in a circuit to prevent against excessive voltage. It's made out of cermaic.

Now, I got to find a supplier for that component. I couldn't find any dealer around India, since I stuck at that place. If someone has better Idea finding close to my continent It would be very grateful.

@beenthere , Sorry, it's just a thumbnail ..


Joined Aug 21, 2008
You might try these guys in Thialand, who have a good selection of MOVs:

You can also download datasheets there.

Another idea - get one from a dead electronic appliance.
If the Varistor is the only part that is damaged, then the circuit should work fine without it, but it won't be protected from transients. If the circuit does not work right now, then go ahead and find the other damaged parts and order all the replacement parts at the same time.
Last edited: