Can you build a 30 sec countdown strobe light and smoke machine with sound clip and motor.

NoviceChris

Joined Aug 11, 2018
Hi all.
I am a total novice and would love some advice on building or help getting what an off the market device.
General Circuit is:
An Activation switch that turns on a 30sec countdown strobe light and smoke machine.
Also activates a sound clip.
Also activates a motor.

Halloween setup.

Can anyone help please?

Vytas Klyvis

Joined Dec 5, 2016
Shteii01 beat me to it.

Sounds Arduino-ish. Considering this will not be a commercial product.

- There are several tutorials online on how to play music from an sd card using the arduino
- Relay board for the switching components like motors, strobe and smoke-machine

NoviceChris

Joined Aug 11, 2018
Thanks guys. Any suggestions for a plug and play options?
Also a adjustable countdown timed power relay that can have a single pulse to switch on (push micro switch that will not be continuously pushed in) to then activate the timer (separate circuit)?

NoviceChris

Joined Aug 11, 2018
What type of activation sensor do you need? Motion activated, IR beam, pressure switch?
SG
So the idea is:
Micro switch or break beam that will start a 10sec timer on a strobe and smoke machine while also activating a music/voice recording on a divine linked to speakers (device yet to be found)
Also activating a motor dropping the ghost out of roof.

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
KInd of what I figured. I suppose you can find some plug and play modules that will do all that depending on your budget. If it was me I would design and build it to my specifications. However you say you are a complete novice, how confident are you at building something like this?
SG

NoviceChris

Joined Aug 11, 2018
KInd of what I figured. I suppose you can find some plug and play modules that will do all that depending on your budget. If it was me I would design and build it to my specifications. However you say you are a complete novice, how confident are you at building something like this?
SG
I can do household and some simple circuit plus soldier but I don’t know components nor stumbles at the moment.
With a shopping list, websites and diagrams I could make something.
What I need is a component that starts a timer (on/off) that can activate a power relay (separate circuit like can run smoke,strobe and motor for 5/10sec then turns it off)
And activate a device like a sound bite player with a simple play button and stops automatically when sound is finished (see pic)
The timer is the issue for me I think.
Have a look at pic.

Attachments

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
The timers can be simple circuits using a 555 chip. There are several ways I can think of to activate depending on the setup. You mentioned a break beam, would a wireless remote you activate manually work? These devices are inexpensive and generally plug and play.
SG

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Plug n play ? ? ? Well, as far as a sensor and a device that will operate a power source, first thing comes to my mind in the PnP realm would be an IR lamp. Porch lights have them, but you don't want all that hassle, but some years back, don't know if you can still get this, but you screw it into the light socket and then you screw a light bulb on the end of that. When motion is detected it turns on the light for anywhere from 5 minutes to 20 minutes. I know, I know, you don't want it on that long. Well, there's a "TEST" setting that has quite a short duration while you aim the sensor. Could be on for maybe 15 to 20 seconds, not sure exactly, but there's your sensor and trigger. As for screwing a light into the end of it - screw one of those plug sockets that has two prongs. Then plug a wall wart into that. Anything that can operate off of that power supply should work for the "TEST" duration. Wire it up to a multi-tap door bell transformer and you can likely get 8, 16 or 24 volts AC. OR - and you said a smoke machine - you can plug that into the outlet directly. As for audio - have the sound playing all the time and have the sensor turn on the amplifier.

As for a motor dropping a ghost - that's going to be a little harder to find something that's plug n play.

NoviceChris

Joined Aug 11, 2018
The timers can be simple circuits using a 555 chip. There are several ways I can think of to activate depending on the setup. You mentioned a break beam, would a wireless remote you activate manually work? These devices are inexpensive and generally plug and play.
SG
I was thinking a 555 but I’m not 100% on the components to make the timer? The resisters I need to add. I could do with a diagram for a 10 sec timers using a 555. I have a 10amp 11 pin 0-240v 3pdt power relay that can run everything else (smoke,strobe and motor) as they are all separate circuits so voltage can be different for each circuit.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
The timer is likely the centerpiece of your building blocks. What you want is commonly called a Single Shot, One Shot or Momentary Interval timer. You also want it to be non-retriggerable. Upon application of input voltage, the time delay relay is ready to accept a trigger. When the trigger is applied, the output is energized and the time delay (t) begins. During the time delay (t), the trigger is ignored. At the end of the time delay (t), the output is de-energized and the time delay relay is ready to accept another trigger. With the idea being any additional triggers once timing begins are ignored. Here are some explanations of various types of timing applications. This is where you need to make sure the relay module you purchase does what you want it to do and uses a trigger you can easily provide be it a broken beam, a simple switch or a proximity sensor.

The relay board sghioto references in post #15 seems to be capable of DOM (Delay On Make) and DOB (Delay On Break) and a Google of model fc-32 timer will bring up the circuit applications for it. Note there is no trigger input. I am not saying it won't fill your needs just that I do not think it is what you actually want. Just my take on it.

ISD makes chips which record analog signals like your audio which can be recorded to the chip and played back including driving a small audio amplifier. This is an example of an ISD chip already mounted on a breakout board.They are commonly called a ChipCorder which is Nuvoton which is the original ISD technology.

The rest is pretty much easily done using a relat output from your timer card.

Ron

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
The relay module I posted can be triggered by a momentary switch connected to 12 volts. With the proper setting of the on board jumpers and external wiring the unit is self powered using the relay contacts. A switched 12 volt output is available to power an external 12 volt relay or any 12 volt dc device. When the unit times out it disconnects itself from power, waiting for the next trigger, no reset needed. Similar to to the 555 timer schematic below.
SG
EEE 555 timer self power.png

Last edited:

NoviceChris

Joined Aug 11, 2018
Thanks for the advice guys.
So just to clarify what I need is:
A Device that can be triggered by a single shot of 12v (or lower) once triggered it can’t be triggered again until the timer has stopped.
When triggered a adjustable/preset timer will turn on a circuit. After that timer has finished it will turn that circuit off and can be triggered again.

Single shot trigger of 12v or lower.
Can not be triggered until timer has finished.
Ajustable timer that once triggered, turns on a circuit for the selected amount of time.

Any devices that will do this and are easy to set would be great. Also am in the uk so they need to ship here or are based locally.

Really appreciate all the help.

NoviceChris

Joined Aug 11, 2018
Also I need a lightning generator.
So I have see devices like “the perfect storm” however are expensive and would cost me a lot to import to the uk.

The idea is that a powerful light will activate at the sound of thunder (sound track).
It will light and flicker to the intensity of the sound.
Any suggestions?

NoviceChris

Joined Aug 11, 2018
Thanks for the advice guys.
So just to clarify what I need is:
A Device that can be triggered by a single shot of 12v (or lower) once triggered it can’t be triggered again until the timer has stopped.
When triggered a adjustable/preset timer will turn on a circuit. After that timer has finished it will turn that circuit off and can be triggered again.

Single shot trigger of 12v or lower.
Can not be triggered until timer has finished.
Ajustable timer that once triggered, turns on a circuit for the selected amount of time.

Any devices that will do this and are easy to set would be great. Also am in the uk so they need to ship here or are based locally.

Really appreciate all the help.
Do you think this will do it? See pic

Attachments