Can you become an engineer if you hated physics in gymnasium/highschool?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
My favorite alternative to engineering is Art History. At the University of Michigan, when I was an undergraduate, it was supposedly one of the easiest of the easy "A" classes. If you search my threads there will be previous references.

Geez! I just did that and amazed myself at how many times I've suggested it. I wonder if any of them took me up on that suggestion. I've been here for 16 years so maybe I should not be that surprised.
The first year that I taught a lecture course I had a student that was struggling hugely with the academics and when I talked to him about it, it was clear he had neither aptitude nor passion for engineering. But in talking to him about what he loved doing he kept talking about graphic arts and so I suggested that he might check with some placed that had programs in graphic arts and see if it might be a viable alternative -- transferring to an easier major at Mines wasn't an option because Electrical Engineering was widely regarded as the easiest major on campus. A week or two later he had dropped out of school completely and I figured I'd never hear from him again. Just before the end of the semester he stopped by specifically to tell me that he was enrolled in a graphic arts major at the university and he wanted to thank me. He was thoroughly enjoying it and was already working as an intern in the industry. He showed me some of the work he had done and it was amazing, and you could see the passion on his face and in his voice. I always wondered what became of him, but I'd bet on him being successful -- very possibly to a greater degree than I have been in my chosen field.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
The first year that I taught a lecture course I had a student that was struggling hugely with the academics and when I talked to him about it, it was clear he had neither aptitude nor passion for engineering. But in talking to him about what he loved doing he kept talking about graphic arts and so I suggested that he might check with some placed that had programs in graphic arts and see if it might be a viable alternative -- transferring to an easier major at Mines wasn't an option because Electrical Engineering was widely regarded as the easiest major on campus. A week or two later he had dropped out of school completely and I figured I'd never hear from him again. Just before the end of the semester he stopped by specifically to tell me that he was enrolled in a graphic arts major at the university and he wanted to thank me. He was thoroughly enjoying it and was already working as an intern in the industry. He showed me some of the work he had done and it was amazing, and you could see the passion on his face and in his voice. I always wondered what became of him, but I'd bet on him being successful -- very possibly to a greater degree than I have been in my chosen field.
Actually the suggestion is not meant to be flippant, rather it is a kind of polar opposite that might appeal to someone who wandered into engineering by mistake. We had such an individual at the first company I worked for. Great looking resume but completely unsuited to product development or project management. He exited the business for more "socially responsible" pursuits and prospered by doing so. Just as sure as you won't like everything that you try, it is a shame not to try things that you might like. I really hope that some of the folks I suggested "Art History" to actually discovered their particular passion. I'm not looking for "thank you masked mans", but an occasional shout out would be...well reaffirming.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Another thing I often tell students: You don't have to love your major, but you will always be competing against people that do.

Delta Prime

Joined Nov 15, 2019
Hello there :)
The answer is no you should not become an electrical engineer you should become a theoretical physicist.
That's a joke haha
Let me tell you something kid .
Sometimes, you have to get knocked down lower than you have ever been to stand back up taller than you ever were.
Then when you find what you want to do practice practice practice.
Practice like you’ve never won.
Then you will automatically perform like you’ve never lost. Now get the heck out of here...oh by the way do you have a question?;)

Last edited: