Can you become an engineer if you hated physics in gymnasium/highschool?

Discussion in 'Career Advising' started by wolly, Aug 22, 2019.

1. wolly

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 11, 2018
    I already joined for the first year. I will come back after an year and I will answer honestly if this is the career I want to pursue.

DickCappels likes this.
  2. dl324

AAC Fanatic!

Mar 30, 2015
    That might be the best course of action. Many people get degrees in areas they either don't like or don't have an aptitude for. Wanting something very badly is a good motivator, but lacking the underlying skills or aptitude can derail desires very quickly.

If you had an aptitude for engineering, it would have shown up early and you would have been taking classes that would further that pursuit.

I know electrical engineers who got very good grades in school, but it turned out they were better at taking tests than actually learning. I have also known people in engineering positions who were quite successful with an associates degree.

rsjsouza likes this.
  3. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    My best mentor in electronics was someone who had no formal education beyond high school.

4. BobTPH

Jun 5, 2013
    I think even a hint of ambivalence is a bad omen for anyone who wants to be an engineer, Good engineers typically cannot imagine anything they would rather do fo a living.

Bob

nsaspook likes this.
  5. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    That is not relevant. It was an analogy to describe a binary choice. You either persevere, adapt, and overcome the obstacles, or you quit and do something else. You know yourself better than we do, so who are we to give you advice. Stand on your own two feet and make a decision -- we can't do it for you and we damn sure can't give you permission to become 2/3 of an engineer.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  6. rsjsouza

Apr 21, 2014
    I also think this is a good idea.

The people I met in my life with the same position as you had to answer a few questions.
    1) the major question: what do you really like to do?
    2) what you like to do can grant you a way of living? Sometimes you can, but sometimes you need to dive into a career to get you to a place where you are able to do what you like in the spare time, etc.
    3) what do you need so you can do what you like? Sometimes it requires a degree, a specialization course, or sometimes a steady income, moving countries, etc.

Just like DL324 above, I have seen many university friends being excellent at tests but did bot really care for engineering. They ended up pursuing their passion outside of their career. Others are still pursuing their passion but became lost and without a steady income or a minimally stable life. And others made the comittment to a frugal life pursuing their passion.

atferrari likes this.
  7. Katheru

Aug 29, 2019
    You can try more different whether you are interesred in or not. You needn't care what we think, and just listen from your heart.
    If you find what you are interested in, please try your best to study and don't give up. Take it as your goal, and fight for it.
    By the way, don't ignore the education of college. It not only teach you knowledge, but also a mode of thinking which is benefit for your work or life in your future.

rsjsouza likes this.