Can we use a tristate buffer in place of voltage level shifter?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by sharath_412, May 25, 2007.

  1. sharath_412

    Thread Starter Active Member

    May 7, 2007
    We need voltage convertion from 5 volts to 3.3 volts( TTL compatible).
    For this can i use a tristate buffer ( supply =3.3V, input voltage range is -.5 to 5.5 volts, o/p is TTL compatible) in place of a level shifter( Vcc=3.3).

    Q1. In the datasheet of tristate buffer he specified currents for logic 1 and logic 0 as
    logic '1' output current -20 mA
    logic '0' output current +20 mA

    Is this same for all tristate buffers?
    When we connect some component at the o/p of that tristatebuffer what are the issues I have to take care about?

  2. bloguetronica

    AAC Fanatic!

    Apr 27, 2007
    Where is the datasheet? Are you refering to open collector outputs? You can use those for that.

    I sense a confusion between tristate gates and open collector outputs in this forum.:D
  3. lightingman

    Senior Member

    Apr 19, 2007
    There are a range of gates that will do this.... 74LCXxxx series.They will run at 3.3v VDD, but have 5v tolerant inputs.Or check out the CD40109.Daniel.