Can voltage division be a applied to an electret microphone signal (around 40mV)?

abdulwahab.hajar

Joined Jun 14, 2016
I was designing a transistor amplifier to amplify the signal of an electret microphone, throughout my simulations though I assumed my input voltage would be around 10mV rms as that is what research had told me about the output of an electret microphone...
However, while testing I found out that the microphone outputs a signal in the range of 40mV rms......
and my amplification gets distorted....

Attached is both the distorted and un-distorted outputs...
I tried re-configuring the resistances but to no avail, even when I decrease the gain when the input is 40mV rms, I still get some distortion...
So I was thinking of dividing the input signal by series resistances, is it possible?
if not any suggestions would be gladly welcomed..

Attachments

abdulwahab.hajar

Joined Jun 14, 2016
hi ah,
What are the collector and emitter DC voltages, ie: without any input signal.?
E
Yeah, Vce was 3.788V... thanks for noticing, I configured the biasing resistors to get a Vce of 6.16V to place it nearer to the center of biasing region... although it's better I still get distortion at an input of 40mV... any ideas? :)
I tried using your addition to the design, funny thing is... Multisim still shows me distortion.. are you using a 40mV input source?

Last edited:

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
I was designing a transistor amplifier to amplify the signal of an electret microphone, throughout my simulations though I assumed my input voltage would be around 10mV rms as that is what research had told me about the output of an electret microphone...
However, while testing I found out that the microphone outputs a signal in the range of 40mV rms......
and my amplification gets distorted....

Attached is both the distorted and un-distorted outputs...
I tried re-configuring the resistances but to no avail, even when I decrease the gain when the input is 40mV rms, I still get some distortion...
So I was thinking of dividing the input signal by series resistances, is it possible?
if not any suggestions would be gladly welcomed..
Change the collector load from 9 Kohms to 4 Kohms. That will change the no-signal collector voltage from 4.8 volts to 7 volts allowing the output at the collector to go + and - 5 volts without clipping.