Can this work,

FroceMaster

Joined Jan 28, 2012
Hi
Have constructed this , and would like to know if it will work,
It's for counting the rain , and storing for 7 days,
Need clock to change to midnight.
the 4017 counter on page 4 will be 74HC4017 instead.

I know i could have used a microcontroller, but that's not the issue.
hmm, only upload 6 out of 11 pictures.

Rgds
Sten

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
God, why do you use 30 discrete chips that would need a huge board when you can do everything faster and cheaper with a single uC?
Is this some school excercise? Other than that, this seems like a huge waste of time just to design it, waste of money to build it, and another waste of time trying to debug it and make it actually work, because in a design like this there WILL be errors.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Download logisim (free) and put it together in there, to make sure it works.

I'd use a $2 PIC, but if you want to have an acre of ICs, I won't stop ya.

FroceMaster

Joined Jan 28, 2012
Hi,
Have tried to hear on many boards , and all say use a pic.
But NO one can tell witch one, and tell how to connect, and to make the software.
4 digits.
when nothing selected it should show todays amount of rain.
First select, show total since reset.
next select show rain yesterday, display out ("1_00") for 0 mm.
next select show rain day -2 display out ("2_00")
next select show rain day -3
next select show rain day -4
next select show rain day -5
next select show rain day -6
next select show rain day -7
next select show time of day.
when not pushing select button for 10 sec, it should return to todays rain amount.

Rgds
Sten

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
That should be very easy to write, something like 200 lines of C code max.
The only thing that is not clear is how you obtaing the measurements of rain, is it some sensor? How does it send the value?

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
In a hobbyist world it is nothing wrong in building things with discrete logic. But using any micro controller. Will simplify this task a lot ;)

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
It's not that people don't want to help you here, but the circuit is quite big and it will take quite some time to verify everything.

You can of course build the circuit with all these ICs, especially if you don't know how to program a uC it may be the better option.

Since you were able to draw up the circuit I assume you have some experience, so why don't you start putting it together and we'll see if we can help if you get stuck.

I very much doubt that anyone will have the time to print out these diagrams and spend a few hours analyzing them. Sorry.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Input will be a 5v signal. low- high - low
You mean a positive pulse per measured volume? I.e. when say 5ml got inside it produces a pulse, then when another 5ml are added it produces next pulse, so the measured values will be a simple pulse count times some predefined constant?
The display will be just 4 7-segment led displays?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Hi,
Have tried to hear on many boards , and all say use a pic.
But NO one can tell witch one, and tell how to connect, and to make the software.
A good device to start with is the PICAXE. It's a series of PIC processors that are programmed in BASIC, which is a relatively simple language to learn that uses English language words for commands. It's much easier to understand than the rather arcane command words of C or assembly language.

For your project, select the PICAXE model that has at least the minimum number of inputs and outputs for the job.

If you decide to do that, we can give you tips on how to connect and program the PICAXE to do your project.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
A good device to start with is the PICAXE. It's a series of PIC processors that are programmed in BASIC, which is a relatively simple language to learn that uses English language words for commands. It's much easier to understand than the rather arcane command words of C or assembly language.

For your project, select the PICAXE model that has at least the minimum number of inputs and outputs for the job.

If you decide to do that, we can give you tips on how to connect and program the PICAXE to do your project.
No I do not agree. The PICAXE concept more or less flim-flam. Use a cheap programmer combined with some free C or basic compiler. That will be system you can grow with, and be happy with.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
No I do not agree. The PICAXE concept more or less flim-flam. Use a cheap programmer combined with some free C or basic compiler. That will be system you can grow with, and be happy with.
On what do you base your opinion?

And suggesting that a beginner to programming start with C does not very well remember what it was like to initially learn that art.;)

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
PICAXE is a valid choice, if it is purchased with a small development board with I/O clearly labeled.

The software even lets you program it by drawing a flow chart.

Otherwise, if you need speed, Swordfish SE basic and a PICKit 2 + demo board works, but that is a higher layout for a single app.

FroceMaster

Joined Jan 28, 2012
You mean a positive pulse per measured volume? I.e. when say 5ml got inside it produces a pulse, then when another 5ml are added it produces next pulse, so the measured values will be a simple pulse count times some predefined constant?
The display will be just 4 7-segment led displays?
Yes a "signal" every time 1 mm ( 1 L pr M2 ) it's so we measure rain in denmark.
so the counting will just de from 0 and up. one at a time.
Reason for 4 digits 7 segment is just for having the clock, so it can change every midnight.

Have also think of a LCD 2*16 but dont know how.

FroceMaster

Joined Jan 28, 2012

Thanx,
I will try to work at little with that, but a little sample on how to build a clock and a counter, and some info how to store it would be nice.

rgds
Sten

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
On what do you base your opinion?

And suggesting that a beginner to programming start with C does not very well remember what it was like to initially learn that art.;)
I base my opinion on teaching experience. From 16 years old and up. The "playstation" generation have no problem in grasping the relative simple essence of Ansi C needed to program any 8 bit micro. As always in teaching you have to allow for some learning curve.

FroceMaster

Joined Jan 28, 2012
Have researched a little and find that PIC16F1824 could do the job,
if someone could help me getting startet iam a fast learner.
PICAXE is ok, but i can't find an sellers in my area.

Can easy make windows programs, have also learn from nothing, just by google it.