Can This Do This??

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Video aside, what requirement do you have for range of frequency out , waveforms, and output voltage? Does the kit do what you want?

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
I'm gonna hazard a guess that the kit you're talking about probably won't have enough output power. A typical industrial function generator will be capable of putting out 10 volts across 50 ohms and could likely drive those coils. I truthfully don't know, but my intuition says that generator kit might not have enough power to do what you want. But this shouldn't be a problem, as there are no doubt numerous simple oscillator circuits you could use (I'd look for an RC oscillator using CMOS logic like here) to get a square wave of the right frequency. This could be used to drive a power transistor to drive the coil. No doubt the experts on this board would be happy to point you to representative circuits and help you with its construction.

One other strategy is to watch ebay for a used function generator. You can sometimes find some great deals there.

robotkid249

Joined Mar 18, 2009
Maybe by using an AC Wall wart wil 9VAC output and connecting the output of the function generator to a TRIAC, giving me the kHz with sufficient power output??