Can the output voltage of this VFD be varied?

Rahulk70

Joined Dec 16, 2016
Hi,

Im am looking to buy a Cutler-Hammer Adjustable Frequency Drive AF91AGO BF25D. I’m a bit confused even after going through it’s datasheet. But can the output voltage of this VFD be varied from 0-230V? Or is it fixed between 220-230V?

Sorry I haven’t used a VFD before. I’m looking to obtain this to get a 3 phase 115V, 400Hz supply.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Hi,

Im am looking to buy a Cutler-Hammer Adjustable Frequency Drive AF91AGO BF25D. I’m a bit confused even after going through it’s datasheet. But can the output voltage of this VFD be varied from 0-230V? Or is it fixed between 220-230V?

Sorry I haven’t used a VFD before. I’m looking to obtain this to get a 3 phase 115V, 400Hz supply.

Thanks in advance
VFDs are variable frequency drives. The voltage is constant, the motors speed and torque are determined by the frequency. It is not a variable voltage device, so the answer is no.

You can read about VFDs here.

Rahulk70

Joined Dec 16, 2016
VFDs are variable frequency drives. The voltage is constant, the motors speed and torque are determined by the frequency. It is not a variable voltage device, so the answer is no.

You can read about VFDs here.
Thanks for the clarification. What got me confused was that when I looked at another VFD a Schneider Electric Altivar ATV12H037F1, it says 0-230V.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
OK, there is some confusion here. For some motors the controller will vary both frequency and voltage. The proper controller depends on the motor. Why are you choosing a particular VFD? Do you have the part number of the motor?

There are others here more conversant in VFDs and motors, @MaxHeadRoom comes to mind immediately but he's not alone.

Hopefully he can jump in and help clear things up.

Rahulk70

Joined Dec 16, 2016
OK, there is some confusion here. For some motors the controller will vary both frequency and voltage. The proper controller depends on the motor. Why are you choosing a particular VFD? Do you have the part number of the motor?

There are others here more conversant in VFDs and motors, @MaxHeadRoom comes to mind immediately but he's not alone.

Hopefully he can jump in and help clear things up.
Okay, short story. I'm trying to power some avionics(includes some gyro devices which run at 115VC at 400Hz, 3 phase). Now I've a few 28VAC and 115VAC 400hz single phase static inverters. But a 115VAC, 400Hz 3 phase static inverter is quite expensive and hard to comeby.

Now looking at some forums I saw people mentioning and having luck with using VFDs to achive this. I think it was a Siemens VFD, unfortunately can't remember the model no. But it was similar to the schineder and much more pricier.

I've never used a VFD before, so I thought it would be a good idea to get some expert opinion here before I jump in and buy.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Okay, short story. I'm trying to power some avionics(includes some gyro devices which run at 115VC at 400Hz, 3 phase). Now I've a few 28VAC and 115VAC 400hz single phase static inverters. But a 115VAC, 400Hz 3 phase static inverter is quite expensive and hard to comeby.

Now looking at some forums I saw people mentioning and having luck with using VFDs to achive this. I think it was a Siemens VFD, unfortunately can't remember the model no. But it was similar to the schineder and much more pricier.

I've never used a VFD before, so I thought it would be a good idea to get some expert opinion here before I jump in and buy.
Ah, well that's a pretty non-standard use. The Reliance Electric 6MB200P5 seems to be a possibility based oil specs and it's widely available on the surplus market cheap(ish ~$120) but I can't find a manual for it.

With your more clear description of the problem maybe someone can help.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
No, the VFD you've indicated is not output voltage adjustable. The output generally follows the input. A powerflex 525 however can be adjusted, and Im sure there are more that could be.

Last edited: