Can someone tell me what this is?

ApexLogic

Joined Apr 21, 2012

As the topic title suggests I am trying to find out what is the brand of this component. It is a pot, I'm not sure on the value because it is broken internally and reads 0 ohms for both I/O legs. It was removed from a Jensen VM9312 head unit.

Last edited:

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
It doesn't matter who made it. It's generic so measure the dimensions, take it apart and measure the element, then look it up by specification.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Are you sure it's a pot? My head unit uses an encoder. Actually, all the head units in my recent memory have used encoders. If it's an old unit, it might be a pot. Looks like a pot to me, just saying.

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
there are only few possibilities, only few components come with shaft: potentiometers, variable capacitors, rotary switches, encoders, rheostats, variacs... some of those are easy to rule out.

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Check page 5 in the User manual.

5. AUDIO/LO/DX
Rotate to adjust the volume. Press and release to enter and/or confirm autio settings. Press and hold to activate the locat (LOC) settings.

From page 5 in user manual.

If it's the other knob, you have a different story.

Attachments

ApexLogic

Joined Apr 21, 2012
Hey sorry for the delay. There are no other markings on the component other than the one pictured in the post above. Here are some pictures that i took of the inside of the component. I can see now that the problem was one of the legs attached to the external pin was bent up. This was causing the binding issues as well as the reason it didn't adjust the volume.

This would appear to be a rotary encoder, correct?

It doesn't matter who made it. It's generic so measure the dimensions, take it apart and measure the element, then look it up by specification.
Plan B was to take measurements and try to fined a similar profiled component. I assumed this would be more time consuming than asking if anyone as ever seen this particular brand name so i could narrow down search results. Thanks for all the replies!

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
It looks like a 15-element incremental mechanical rotary encoder with a switch. You need to measure the square dimensions and shaft diameter and length.

Last edited:

MBVet05

Joined Jul 21, 2011
Looks like a pot to me. There are so many replacement pot out there why even mess with it. Look on Digikey for a replacement and call it a day. I'm sure they have something that will work.

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
Looks like a pot to me. There are so many replacement pot out there why even mess with it. Look on Digikey for a replacement and call it a day. I'm sure they have something that will work.
on the outside, it may have looked like a pot, but once it was open there is nothing to suggest that any more.

ApexLogic

Joined Apr 21, 2012
It looks like a 15-element incremental mechanical rotary encoder with a switch. You need to measure the square dimensions and shaft diameter and length.
I would agree. I have measured the base and shaft diameter and length and actually paulktreg's link is almost a direct fit. With a width and length of ~12mm. However on the link he posted the shaft is 6mm longer than the original. I will order a few and attempt to file down the end to the correct height and see if it functions properly.

Thanks for all the help. I think this one is solved. I will post pictures of the results.

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
Check my last post. I've edited it. :) The only difference between the EC11E15244B2 and EC11E1534408 is the shaft detent which is present on the 244 but not on the 344. The EC11E153440D differs from the other 344 only in having a shorter 0.5mm switch travel.

Last edited: