can someone tell me what this is

it8eazy

Joined Sep 5, 2009
im fixing the power supply for my plasma and when i put the test light from a hot to either prongs on it, no light, but the one right after it lights up. so i think that could be the problem it says [M] 5 W 10 Ohms j 58 3 on it. http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj152/it8eazy/0905091646.jpg its the white thing with the black strip on it. when it went bad it was lighting up blue(sparks?) and making clicking noises, pop....pop....pop i unplugged the tv and then nothing so yeah. there was a blown fuse like right before that, so i replace that and now this.

kkazem

Joined Jul 23, 2009
The part is a 10 ohm, 5 watt power resistor,which is non-polarized. I don't understand how a ceramic-coated resistor could light-up in blue or any other color for that matter. If you're using a test light, forget it. GO OUT AND BUY A CHEAP DIGITAL MULTIMETER or at least a cheap analog VOM (volt-ohm meter). I've seen decent digital ones for a little as $30 and cheap VOM's at radio shack for as little as $ 5.00, INCLUDING TE LEADS.

For this one, you need ,ore than a test lamp. You really should be using a scope, but some repairs can be done with a meter. Getting ahold of the schematic is almost a must unless you're really lucky.

Feel free to contact me with additional questions. I'm a power supply design engineer with over 30+ years design experience. Another thing about your TV power supply: IT IS VERY DANGEROUS SINCE THE PRIMARY SIDE IS NON-ISOLATED AND THE CAPS CAN HOLD A LEATHAL CHARGE OF UP TO SEVERAL HUNDRED VOLTS DC, WHICH IS MORE DANGEROUS THAN 120VAC LINE VOLTAGE. MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING AND NEVER TOUCH THE CIRCUITRY WHEN IT IS PLUGGED-IN. EVEN IF IT IS TURNED OFF, PART OF THE POWER SUPPLY IS ALWAYS RUNNING.

GOOD LUCK,
Kamran Kazem
kkazem