Can someone please help me?

areonic1

Joined Dec 18, 2008
Im working on a project, but honestly ccant figure out how to do it. First of all, what Im doing is flush mounting a tablet pc in my car, which controls the tunning to my car. But, Im wanting to add something else as well, so maybe I can explain it and someone can tell me or assist me in whats needed to be done.

Overall, I want to be able to turn things on and off via the tablet/laptop.

So my idea, was maybe make something that connects to a usb port or something on the tablet, then have software that turns things on and off.

A basic example...Say i want to turn the lights on. The lights would be wired to the module/box, then the box wired to the tablet. Then in the software, id just click on or off or whatnot. Anyway, thats kind of basic of what Im trying to do.

Is anyone able to help or understand what Im talking about? I really dont know much about circuit chips, boards and all that, But Im trying to learn at the moment. I do have some basic knowledge though, I an build a PC from ground up, really good at wiring and such if that helps.

Any help would be greaty appreciated.
Thank you, Shawn

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I hope you're not planning on using a Windows-based box. :eek:

As autos/trucks become more computerized, more and more of them are using digital controls via a bus structure. You would have to disable the on-board computer controls and replace them with your own.

This isn't a project for a beginner.

areonic1

Joined Dec 18, 2008
So its not possible to lets say, make a board, put relays and pin out points on it, usb port and whatever else is needed. Then have a basic program that jus sends power to those pin outs?

I thought it was along the same lines as a stepper motor setup or something like that. All im trying to do is be able to turn power on and off to things connected to the PCB

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Your vehicle has an ECU monitoring and controlling a great many functions of your engine.

If you provide incorrect inputs to your engine's controls, you will very likely cause a great deal of damage to it. At the very least, you will likely cause damage to the vehicle's emissions controls, which is illegal in many countries.

This isn't something for "n00bs" to experiment with.

areonic1

Joined Dec 18, 2008
Nothing you said had anything to do with my scenario. Well, for start my car doesnt run off the cars ecm, runs off a standalone EMS, tuned through my laptop. Im not looking to modify the cars ecm, Im trying to make a simple board, with outputs that can be controled via laptop, such as connecting through USB or some sort. It is possible, I just dont know what they used.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
For starters, you said that "what Im doing is flush mounting a tablet pc in my car, which controls the tunning to my car". I assume that "tunning" was a typo, and actually meant "tuning".

You apparently want something that is capable of re-programming the computer in a vehicle.

You will not find that here.

garry.owens

Joined Dec 17, 2008
maplins do a usb experamental board that whil do all that you want BUT sgt wooky is corect if youre car is comp controlled then you are likly to creat a lot of proplems make certain before you start

Alberto

Joined Nov 7, 2008
Shawn, the suggestions to be careful, you have received are all very wise! Having said that, you can go ahead with your project purchasing one USB IO card ( I think 24 IOs should be OK for start). Once you have your board, you should build yourself a box of relays controlled via the USB card.
At this stage you should start programming, in order to obtain a software capable to open and close the relays one at the time.
When you have solved these two points, you have a control box in your hands, and you should use it wisely.
Commence with controlling simple things like the internal courtesy light, the internal ventilation of your vehicle etc. these are simple to achieve because you should have a car switch that already control this function, that you can close and keep it close, and connect in series one of your relay. When this relay close the internal ligth will be turned on or the internal ventilation will be turned on.(depending which one you have connected)
By the time you gain confidence then you could control other electrical parts of your vehicle, but you should always bear in mind your own safety and safety of the others.

So never modify parts of the your car that could potentially create dangerous situation.

IT COULD BE VERY DANGEROUS FOR YOU AND FOR THE OTHERS; IF THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT DRIVING AT A HIGH SPEED; SUDDENLY YOUR LIGHTS WILL ALL TURNS OFF BECAUSE YOUR CONTROL FAILS!!

Aberto

Last edited: