Can someone please help me find why the LM2596 is blowing up on my PCB ?

you cannot reverse the input polarity, opposite to some posts above, 470uH will work just fine, the only thing that changes is the current ripple is less, which is good for the lower peak current at turn off for the device, 47uH may well be too small.
Check your build, duble check, then check again - most issues are due to build - where did you buy the device from ? there are a lot of fakes out there ....

nishantnidaria

Joined Sep 27, 2021
you cannot reverse the input polarity, opposite to some posts above, 470uH will work just fine, the only thing that changes is the current ripple is less, which is good for the lower peak current at turn off for the device, 47uH may well be too small.
Check your build, duble check, then check again - most issues are due to build - where did you buy the device from ? there are a lot of fakes out there ....
I've had my PCB produced from JLCPCB and all the parts are from JLCPCB as well.

nishantnidaria

Joined Sep 27, 2021
Hello,

The PCB is showing an inductor with the code 471 , wich is an 470 μH inductor , wich is to large as said before.

Bertus
Yes but i am still confused about why when i connect the battery right way; i.e., +12V to +12V, it works perfectly without any heating issues but when i connect the battery the wrong way (reverse polarity) i.e., +12V to Gnd, it makes the IC burst ? the explaination would help me a lot in understanding the electronics behind it.

Also before when i was using SS34 diodes instead of SK34A, the PCB had no problem with reverse polarity, even if i kept it for 5 minutes. Now it just destroys within a second.

If you connect your car battery to your car the wrong way round - you get plenty of things being destroyed too - correct ?

as said above 470uH is no issue for the choke value - all opinions to the contrary have no valid engineering reasons behind such comments.

So it would appear - except there is no reference to this at all in the original post - some thing of an oversight perhaps that you forgot to mention that you were zapping the circuit with reversed input volts in an attempt to test this feature ?
Possibly a good idea to mention all the ways you were abusing the converter next time.

nishantnidaria

Joined Sep 27, 2021
So it would appear - except there is no reference to this at all in the original post - some thing of an oversight perhaps that you forgot to mention that you were zapping the circuit with reversed input volts in an attempt to test this feature ?
Possibly a good idea to mention all the ways you were abusing the converter next time.
Yes, I'm sorry i forgot to mention that in my original post. But, now that it's out there, could you please tell me how my reverse polarity protection circuit is bad because before that i used a diode (SS34) and it didn't seem to work as well, that is why i replaced it with a P-Channel Mosfet.

nishantnidaria

Joined Sep 27, 2021
hi nishant,
How is the MOSFET circuit clip connected to the LM2596 circuitry.?
E
View attachment 248995
Hi thanks for your comment, the MOSFET's pin2 is connected to the 12V plane through a vias on the top layer which also provides to the input pins of the DC-DC through vias.
Please refer to the pictures in the attachment.

Attachments

perhaps you exceeded the Vgs, or the Vds of the mosfet, perhaps you static damaged it ? there are a myriad ways you could have ruined it - over zealous with a soldering iron ... the list goes on ...