Can someone please help identify this hall sensor

juzzac

Joined Jul 28, 2012
Hi
Could someone please help me identify this hall sensor, I think it is a bipolar type but would like to find a exact replacement
Thanks in advance :D

Attachments

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Can you tell us what its for so we can work out what your specifications will be?

Looks like a SMD device probably 2.3volts

juzzac

Joined Jul 28, 2012
Thanks Dave,
I should of given you more info, it is a 3 pin through hole speed sensor (three pins are broken off) It is a speed sensor for a automatice transmission sensor board, the only techinical info I can get is they call it a ACTIVE SPEED SENSOR And that it picks up its speed off a ring magnet inside the transmission. I have attached a diagram from the techinical info. The two sensors I am looking for are sensor 1 and 2.

I believe it might be a bipolar magnetic hall sensor. I have one other sensor that is not damaged that I can use for testing, what would be the best way to test to determine the exact specs of this sensor ?

Attachments

Last edited:

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
I believe it might be a bipolar magnetic hall sensor. I have one other sensor that is not damaged that I can use for testing, what would be the best way to test to determine the exact specs of this sensor ?
Seems like it's really only an ON/OFF signal at the output. If you want to determine it's sensitivity you would need an electromagnet or a permanent magnet with known magnetic field strengths. You can then calculate the magnetic field strength at a certain distance. Moving the Hall sensor in direction to the magnet until it activates its output would tell you its minimum sensitivity. It would be much easier if you had access to a gaussmeter.

Btw, it can also be a programmable hall sensor, but it probably doesn't matter as they are programmed only once..

I tried to find your exact component, no luck.

If you bought another similar hall sensor would you be able to adjust its distance to the magnets?

cork_ie

Joined Oct 8, 2011
From your drawing it appears to be just a square wave on-off switch. Many so called Hall effect sensors in automotive electronics are in fact a hybrid incorporating a transistor with open collector output. The other critical parameters are whether it is running on 5V or 12V - I have come across 8 V very very occasionally on older stuff . but it is extremely unlikely. I have never yet seen a hall switch in any kind of auto electronics operate at less than 5V.
The only other important parameters are the flux density and whether a standard off the shelf sensor will survive long term immersed in hot transmission oil