can someone help me to understand how should i attach an external antenna , to this circuit and to disable the internal antennae ?

ryuk_997

Joined Nov 21, 2020
i actually have made a yagi and was thinking of attaching a rg316 coxial wire and trying the wifi range , any help would be greatly appriciated

sagor

Joined Mar 10, 2019
Just a guess.... Cut the trace right to the left of the last chip (capacitor?) leading to the antenna. Solder the center of the RG316 as close to that chip as possible. Solder the shield to the ground trace near the bottom of that picture.
One has to assume the way it is designed is a 50 ohm match to the antenna using a "tap" along the path of the trace relative to ground. Similar to a OCF antenna (Off Center Feed). If you can find a ground closer to the feed point, even better, like one of the holes near that last chip if it is ground.

I did a similar "mod" to my Neo-6M GPS module, soldered some RG316 to the last component (feed capacitor) and separate ground to attach an external SMA port for an external GPS antenna. Works just fine. Mind you, that is receive only, not 2 way.

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
Cool, at least you’re trying.. as you found out it doesn’t work like that. Did you get it working finally? Its challenging to work with RF without proper equipment. How will you know if the antenna you know is an improvement.

ryuk_997

Joined Nov 21, 2020
Cool, at least you’re trying.. as you found out it doesn’t work like that. Did you get it working finally? Its challenging to work with RF without proper equipment. How will you know if the antenna you know is an improvement.
i guess i will check for antenna reception quality !