Can someone help me out?

Siniter Fister

Joined Apr 25, 2009
Can someone tell me what im looking for. I have a power source that is very low. I would like to store it into a battery like thing. Can someone tell me what I need for this project?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
A capacitor is a battery like thingy.

How low can you go? How do you define low.

We're going to need a lot more information here.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I think what the OP wants is to take a low current low voltage source and charge a higher voltage battery. We can't even guess at what he wants until we have input voltage, input current, output voltage, and output current.

count_volta

Joined Feb 4, 2009
Can someone tell me what im looking for. I have a power source that is very low. I would like to store it into a battery like thing. Can someone tell me what I need for this project?
That sounds like your power source is some sort of battery that almost died and you want to recharge it. Or something. :confused:

We need more specifics.

mkbutan

Joined Sep 30, 2008
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." Albert Einstein
that is right
i think if it is constant low or very low voltage or current
then some LC ckt. should solve the problem.

ONE HUMBLE REQUEST TO ALL THE READER'S & WRITER'S
PL GIVE CLEAR & DETALE OF YOUR QUESTION'S.
TO UNDERSTAND THE PROJECTS YOU ARE WORKING FOR.

Siniter Fister

Joined Apr 25, 2009
Yes I tried to post this in a different post and I didn't get an answer so I tried to reword it. I have a crystal like one from a crystal radio. That is my power source. I would like to take the little current that it gives off and hold it into a battery like thing. That way I can store it and use it as a bigger current.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
We still need the input voltages and currents, if you can't measure them then you can't use them. Since batteries tend to require fixed voltage it makes it problematic, whatever conversion circuits you use are probably going to eat up all the profits (the wattage you get from your source). This implies a capacitor. You can get cap that has low leakage, but they tend to be small, while you need large value, and electrolytics are leaky. The very low power requirements also imply a Shottky Diode, which only drops around .2V (more of the profit being eaten up).

Need input.

Input Voltage, Current.

Ouput Voltage, Current (what are you going to power?)

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Yes I tried to post this in a different post and I didn't get an answer so I tried to reword it. I have a crystal like one from a crystal radio. That is my power source. I would like to take the little current that it gives off and hold it into a battery like thing. That way I can store it and use it as a bigger current.
That is not a power source. A crystal radio takes minute amounts of RF energy, rectifies it, and uses it to drive a set of headphones. There is simply not enough energy to convert and store even if it were practical. Were talking tens of microvolts and microamps.

Keep in mind that ANY type of voltage or current conversion will trade one for the other with an efficientcy of less than 100%. What does that mean? Well, suppose we have 50 microvolts at 10 microamps. That input power is 500 picowatts. Now suppose we have a voltage tripler that is 80% efficient.
Rich (BB code):
Input Power (500 picowatts) * 80% = Output Power (400 picowatts)
Input Voltage (50 microvolts) * 3 = Output Voltage (150 microvolts)
Output Power (400 picowatts) / Output Voltage (150 microvolts)
    = Output Current (2.667 microamps)
Can you see what a losing proposition this is?

Cascade these triplers, losing 80% at each stage, figure out how many stages you need to get to 1.5 volts for a battery eliminator. Figure out how much current you have left, then figure out how long it will take to charge say a 1000 ufd capacitor with femtoamps!

Last edited:

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
I you live a few feet from the fence of a 200,000W radio station transmitter and you have a long wire antenna then you will have enough power to power something or store a charge in a battery.

mkbutan

Joined Sep 30, 2008
I you live a few feet from the fence of a 200,000W radio station transmitter and you have a long wire antenna then you will have enough power to power something or store a charge in a battery.

NO NO NO .....
I THINK IT'S NOT POSSIBLE :confused:
BUT REMEMBER ENERGY CAN NEITHER BE CREATED NOR BE DESTROYED
BUT IT CAN BE CONVERTED FROM ONE FORM TO THE OTHER :cool:
E=MC^2

GREAT PL. LET US KNOW THE POWER YOU GAINED :)

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
To MKBUTAN
Uh, it is possible, and doable, but not practical. Big difference. Radio Stations are broadcasting energy (hence the 200000W designation).

Could you loose the caps? It hurts the eyes.