Can someone clearly explain how this film replaces .1 bypass caps?

Raymond Genovese

Joined Mar 5, 2016
https://www.digikey.com/en/product-...wU1kzREZmRnhhQnZrNHJnOVE3SUYrWVhWVnZWdEwifQ==

Datasheet PDF here

I use .1 uf caps, primarily to dampen fluctuations in power, at least I thought that is why I use them. Ignore, for the moment, sophisticated
analog/RF circuits in mixed signal applications that I am not likely to design this week...can someone clearly explain to me how this material, embedded in the circuit board is going to smooth power fluctuations and eliminate the bypass caps..

ebp

Joined Feb 8, 2018
It would simply replace the usual clad laminate used to form inner power and ground plane layers of a multi-layer PCB. Because of how it is made it would behave like a giant capacitor distributed over the entire area, making for exceedingly low impedance even at very high frequency for power distribution. Vias would connect to the copper cladding in the same way they would for a normal board.

I'll bet is is expensive.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
That film does indeed form a distributed capacitor in the multi-layer circuit board. You need to be aware of all of the voltage limitations and follow all of the cautions about vias through the film. AND, it may have an effect on your production yield unless it is done right.

Raymond Genovese

Joined Mar 5, 2016
It would simply replace the usual clad laminate used to form inner power and ground plane layers of a multi-layer PCB. Because of how it is made it would behave like a giant capacitor distributed over the entire area, making for exceedingly low impedance even at very high frequency for power distribution. Vias would connect to the copper cladding in the same way they would for a normal board.

I'll bet is is expensive.
Very, I think - 18" x 24" sheet = $96

Raymond Genovese

Joined Mar 5, 2016
That film does indeed form a distributed capacitor in the multi-layer circuit board. You need to be aware of all of the voltage limitations and follow all of the cautions about vias through the film. AND, it may have an effect on your production yield unless it is done right.
So, could I take, say a 1" square, stick two electrodes attached to a battery in it and measure a change in capacitance using a meter, when it is wet vs. when it is dry?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
So, could I take, say a 1" square, stick two electrodes attached to a battery in it and measure a change in capacitance using a meter, when it is wet vs. when it is dry?
Not wet versus dry, but with the film versus a normal lamination adhesive. I don't think water has any part in the circuit board lamination process. It is done with adhesive pressure, and heat.