Can lacquer save PCB?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!

Are you referring to unpowered circuits? Immersion in water or tolerance to humidity? Exposed to elements or in an enclosure?

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Yes it will help considerably. I've done it many times to circuit boards that had to work in dusty damp or generally harsh environments.

hazzard

Joined Oct 8, 2008
Welcome to AAC!

Are you referring to unpowered circuits? Immersion in water or tolerance to humidity? Exposed to elements or in an enclosure?

Was referring to powered circuits. Where I live there is alot of humidity due to which my television circuit gets rusty and have to get it repaired twice a month. I was asking if it would help me preventing the circuit from getting rusty but without interfering the electronics.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Circuit boards are often dipped in Conformal coating, bit of a trouble if you need to repair in the future, although there is a solvent that is fairly good at removing it.
Glyptal can be obtained from any electrical supplier.
http://www.glyptal.com/
max.

Last edited:

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I have used Krylon Clear for 30 years. It only lasts about 3 years, but it's cheap and fast at a hardware store.;)

I prefer Rustoleum clear coat myself. I have few things that got coated at least 10 years ago that are still sealed tight.

Well worth the extra $1.50 a can. :p

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
@#12 I am a believer in Krylon clear and have used it many times. It is an acrylic lacquer in the US. I am not sure what it is in other countries that are more acutely infected with the VOC virus.

John

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Coastal areas often have an aerosol from salt-spray and, if also in a humid area, there can be severe land-based corrosion.

There is a difference between a Sony/Samsung TV and a Visio/Deawoo class TV. Quality of conformal coatings to protect from humidity/salt spray/anything is one notable difference. Quality - thickness and chemistry and application methods - all determine the benefits and lifetime of effectiveness.